my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » New Guy Needs Help! (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: New Guy Needs Help!
Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 13, 2003 20:58      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
Hi, I'm from the UK and I just started playing Fallout 2 again. And I was really getting into it, until I get to Gecko and ghouls just start attacking me for no reason.
This was really annoying me and ruining the atmosphere, so I decided to see if the latest patch had done anything about it.
I find out that the problem is sorted in the 1.2 patch, along with a whole other bunch of stuff but I was annoyed to find out that if I instal the patch, I won't be able to use my save games.
So I went searching for a solution and found your website and saw that you had a save converter for 1.0 to 1.2.
Then when I downloaded the converter, I was gutted to find that it didn't work because the version I had was actually a UK only version called 1.01. The save converter couldn't recognise the save file.
Does anyone know how to sort this problem? I really don't want to start again but also don't want to kill half of Gecko (I like those decomposing green guys).
Just my bad luck for having a UK 1.01 version tbh, and that I didn't download the patch before playing. I almost did but I couldn't be bothered since the only reason I was going to download the patch then was if it had real time combat to try and speed things up. So after a while I forgot about it, but just picked up the game outta the blue and thought I'd give it a try anyway, and was really starting to enjoy it.

P.S Couldn't blackisle of sorted the save converter out when releasing their patch?I'm sure they could of done it, if someone did it unnofficially in their spare time!

FALLOUTGOD
Wandering Hero
Member # 94

Member Rated:

posted February 13, 2003 21:03      Profile for FALLOUTGOD   Email FALLOUTGOD   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 161401573   
Sorry the best I could do is welcome you and promise to give you hints about the game. But yeah besides that I'm useless and lazy...

--------------------

xcuse me while i kill my self
blow my brain across the wall
fuck you all, how do you do
fuck me? fuck you too
and now i end this all

xcuse me while...... i kill my seeeeeeeeeeeeeelf

Posts: 389 | From: some-place-near-hell | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 13, 2003 21:36      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
O this just gets better and better.
Now that i've reinstalled the version and made it 1.01 again, the save files I had won't work, because the save converter has corrupted them.....
So its either get them to work on 1.2 or cya later Fallout 2.

FALLOUTGOD
Wandering Hero
Member # 94

Member Rated:

posted February 13, 2003 21:43      Profile for FALLOUTGOD   Email FALLOUTGOD   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 161401573   
you might try and dl an america version of kazaa

--------------------

fuck me? fuck you too
and now i end this all

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 13, 2003 22:55      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
I still wouldn't be able to upgrade my saved games from 1.01 to 1.2. The American version might of taken the 1.01 saved files and made them 1.00 when I save them again, and this way I could upgrade them. But theres no telling if i'll dl the 1.00 version. And even if it is the files have been messed around now by the save converter so they don't work on any version atm

FALLOUTGOD
Wandering Hero
Member # 94

Member Rated:

posted February 13, 2003 22:58      Profile for FALLOUTGOD   Email FALLOUTGOD   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 161401573   
geez that blows man i can feel your pain... but i want you to know i played that game 4 times so yeah... i'm prolly guna do it agian sometime

--------------------

fuck me? fuck you too
and now i end this all

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 13, 2003 23:10      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
I don't know off-hand what to recommend, but I can promise that I'll look around tomorrow and see if I can't come up with a solution. I would do it now, but I just got back from work and I need sleep. Blah.

Anyways, you could always start the game over and use Falche to speed up the process so you can get to where you were again.

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 13, 2003 23:14      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
It turns out the save files weren't corrupted by the save converter. What is it that I deleted when re-installing to get back to 1.0 version, that has stopped me being able to use my save file datas?

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 14, 2003 06:47      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Ok, lemme see.......... Did you uninstall the game completely before re-installing? If not, you may want to try that. Also, make sure that you are using the same installation size that you used before.

If that doesn't work, you might want to try just installing it to a new location, and then copying your saved game files there and trying it out.

Plus, isn't the latest patch for the UK v1.02, anyway? At least, that's what I have listed on the download's page.

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 14, 2003 13:10      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
Yeh the latest version is 1.2, but the save converter doesn't recognise my 1.01 save files so I can't convert them to 1.2.
Now that I have re-installed the game it doesn't recognise my orginal save files anyway, which is weird, and I don't think it has anything to do with installation....

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 14, 2003 14:54      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
I have been experimenting to try and find out why my old saved games don't work when I re-install the 1.0 version. I think that after I deleted fallout 2 I manually deleted all remaining files because I thought my saved games would be save, seeing as I had put them in another folder.
But it seems I erased something when I deleted the rest manually. Does anybody know what file is need other than the saved game file when trying to load an older game?
If this is the case I don't think there is much I can do about it, since the file is already gone..... too bad.
If any one has any ideas tho, i'm ready to listen, I still have the saved files safe.
So I now have to
A. Get my old saved files working again and
B. Get them to work on the 1.2 version

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 14, 2003 15:45      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Okay, okay, I think I may have an idea. I can't gaurantee it'll work, but it's an idea nonetheless.

So, um, you used the saved game convertor on the files, right? Then why not just install the patch and see if they will work then?

Other than that, I don't have any more thoughts at the time. The main thing is that I never knew that the UK had a version 1.01 before, nor have I ever heard of a problem like this before. Interesting.

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 14, 2003 16:03      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
I tried that after doing the save conversion on the files it said that they weren't converted, but then I decided to try it anyway and it said the files were out of date.
If you look in the read me for the UK patch it tells u about the 1.01 version....
So is that it then? Gotta throw it all away and start again? Hahaha

FALLOUTGOD
Wandering Hero
Member # 94

Member Rated:

posted February 14, 2003 16:23      Profile for FALLOUTGOD   Email FALLOUTGOD   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 161401573   
I am out of the blue on this but tell me if this file rings a bell and you should have it somewhere. Patch000? I think thats it.

--------------------

fuck me? fuck you too
and now i end this all

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 14, 2003 18:50      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
Some file like that.
But it doesn't matter because I deleted my version of it.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 14, 2003 19:34      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Maybe someone could send it to you if you don't have it?

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 14, 2003 20:59      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
No they are all different depending on characters or saved games I think.
It doesn't matter i've started again and its going pretty swiftly, i'm already half way there. This way I appreciate the game more, and the patch makes it better of course. And going through it again has helped me to spot things that i'd missed last time through.
Thanks to both of you for your help and fast replies!

FALLOUTGOD
Wandering Hero
Member # 94

Member Rated:

posted February 14, 2003 21:44      Profile for FALLOUTGOD   Email FALLOUTGOD   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 161401573   
we try... but right now I'm blown and somehoew feel like i live in amstradam...

--------------------

fuck me? fuck you too
and now i end this all

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 14, 2003 22:31      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Well, I'm just glad to help out

Anyways, feel free to stick around here if you want. We could use some new members.

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 15, 2003 17:36      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
What do you do here? Moan about fallout 3 not existing ?

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 15, 2003 19:29      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
I've restarted my game like I said, and I want to go through everything I did last time (accept maybe a few corrections ). But for some reason (probably in my haste to get back to where I was) I wasn't able to have Redding on my map after I left the Den. U see in my last game I went directly from the Den to Redding, so i'd like to do that again. Can anybody tell me where I can go to put Redding on the map? Preferably in the Den.
If I can't find it in the Den, then I guess I will just have to go there manually.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 15, 2003 20:06      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Hm, what is it that we really do here? I dunno, I guess we just hang out and talk about different things, both Fallout and non-Fallout related.

As for how to get to Redding from the Den, that is one of the many great mysteries of Fallout 2. I tried to figure out why you can get there from the Den sometimes and not others, but it seems to be completely random. Even when doing the exact same things in the game, sometimes you can get to Redding from the Den and others you can't. And I haven't found anyone in the Den that_actually_gives you directions to Redding.

If you've done all the quests and such in the Den, and still don't have Redding on your map, guess you'd have to do it manually. That is, unless there is someone else on this forum that can point out something that I missed.

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 15, 2003 20:37      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
I'm sure I remember someone giving me directions in either the Den or Klamath to Redding the last time around.......

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted February 15, 2003 21:14      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Thats what I was gonna sugest, it might be one of the people in Klamath in the building where you find Sulik.

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 15, 2003 21:36      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
I just checked and the girl in Klamath just tells you its to the south-east, but doesn't tell u where it is exactly so it doesn't show up on the map.
I was just thinking tho, isn't it when you meet a caravan? I remember meeting a Caravan last time around. I was gonnna test out the theory, I bumped up my outdoors skill and walked about for ages . But I didn't find a Caravan master.
It doesn't matter anyway, it won't make any difference from last time if I go to Redding manually will it?

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 15, 2003 22:03      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Nope, I don't think it would.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted February 15, 2003 23:45      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I thought that you get the directions when you are in Vault City. Don't you get them after you talk to Ed (vics friend or whatever, in the shack) and he tells about the brahmin drives? I swear that that is where I got the directions.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted February 16, 2003 08:48      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Yeah Stapes might have a point there, try that

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 16, 2003 10:09      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, that is where you for sure can get 'em, but I do know that you could also get them in the Den. I've done it before myself, though not quite sure how exactly.

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 16, 2003 12:25      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
You guys not reading my posts ?
I was wondering how u did it before u went to Vault City, and I think I figured out that the way u find out about it before that is if u meet a trader.

FALLOUTGOD
Wandering Hero
Member # 94

Member Rated:

posted February 16, 2003 14:33      Profile for FALLOUTGOD   Email FALLOUTGOD   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 161401573   
Place where you get sulik, some guy teaches you how to fight in the golden gecko bar I think. Ask him where he learned to fight like that I think he is the one that tells ya.

--------------------

fuck me? fuck you too
and now i end this all

Todd
Outsider
Member # 103

posted February 16, 2003 15:27      Profile for Todd   Email Todd   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 20797007
Nah, he says New Reno, and he won't even tell you where that is.

rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2003 09:18      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm proud of you guys for this outpouring of aid for Todd. Group hug!

--------------------

As I gaze up at the night sky in my own fair time, I look back down and see the devastation. This post-nuclear world. It's terrible. But at least we got Nuka-Cola, warm and flat, the drink of the post-apocalyptic civiliztion. Generation Next!

Posts: 466 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2003 15:25      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
*goes running up with wide spread arms* *stops and runs the other way* HAHAHAHAH! FOOLED YOU!

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 18, 2003 15:48      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
lol, I guess it's better to help than to point and laugh, even though the later might be more fun. [Tongue Job 1]

All times are Central Time
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community