my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » IMPORTANT! EVERYONE READ!

Printable Version
Author Topic: IMPORTANT! EVERYONE READ!
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 24, 2003 18:24      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Well, it turns out that Scotty the Great's Fallout Community will undergo another URL change. It turns out that the registration for NPA goes out in a few months. So instead of renewing it, Kharn (the guy in charge) plans to just get a new one. When that happens, the URL will change for the site, but everything should be moved untouched, which means not much work for the move is required.

Now comes the tough part. I can either go with this and stay on Kharn's server, or try some other alternatives. One is I could ask Phil over at V52 to host my site. Another is I could look around and see if I could find a cheap server where I could place my site. If I would do that, the site would have a URL that could be something like www.stgfc.com. So let me know what you guys think and any opinions you guys got.

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted February 24, 2003 19:27      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I actually think that you should stay with Kharn. If it is just a small little change, then there won't be much of a downtime, and I could live with that.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 24, 2003 22:45      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Not much down time, but I would have to go around to all the search engines and submit the new URL for my site. That's the biggest pain in the ass. Plus, no matter how much warning is given, I'm sure that there will be some people who fail to follow the change in URL.

So I'm saying that if I'm going to have to change my URL, submit it to all search engines, and probably lose a bunch of people in the process, I want to make the move more worthwhile or something. And besides, no matter which is chosen, as long as I make up my mind relatively soon, there will not be a lot of down time.

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted February 25, 2003 10:09      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
I too think taht u should stay here.

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted February 25, 2003 13:40      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm...I suppose a switch to V52 wouldn't be all bad.

Problem
STGFC forum overshadowed
Hmm...not as bad as it sounds. The regulars are all Wisconsin buddies really (or so I have gathered) and if they haven't moved already, the chances are they won't ever.

--------------------

As I gaze up at the night sky in my own fair time, I look back down and see the devastation. This post-nuclear world. It's terrible. But at least we got Nuka-Cola, warm and flat, the drink of the post-apocalyptic civiliztion. Generation Next!

Posts: 466 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted February 25, 2003 15:26      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Well, Scotty, you said that submitting the url to the search engines would be a pain in the ass. Wouldn't you have to submit the url no matter what?

We would lose members no matter what, because some people don't visit the forums all the time, and they wouldn't know about the changes.

FALLOUTGOD
Wandering Hero
Member # 94

Member Rated:

posted February 25, 2003 15:58      Profile for FALLOUTGOD   Email FALLOUTGOD   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 161401573   
I know about it! Thank god I decided to post insted of to studying right away.

--------------------

xcuse me while i kill my self
blow my brain across the wall
fuck you all, how do you do
fuck me? fuck you too
and now i end this all

xcuse me while...... i kill my seeeeeeeeeeeeeelf

Posts: 389 | From: some-place-near-hell | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 25, 2003 16:43      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah Stapes, but my point is, if I gotta do all the work of resubmitting the URL and losing some visitors, I might as well make it worth it. I hope for this to be the last time the site ever has to move. Odds are that there wouldn't be any future moves after this, but then again that's what it was when I first moved to NPA (oh, looks like my site URL won't change again, I found a permanent home!)

The only way that the URL would surely stay the same is if I registered my own domain.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted February 26, 2003 15:27      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Well, you would still have to resubmit everything, so why make more work for you? All you would have to do is submit the change. What else would you have to do?

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 27, 2003 16:07      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Ugh, as I tried explaining already Stapes, no matter which of these ways I choose for the site, IT'LL STILL BE ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF WORK FOR ME!

The risk, and work, is exactly the same.

Right now, it's leaning more and more towards me finding a new server, because currently my site is taking up about 42MB of space. Kharn is already over his limit, and asked me to skim out some unnecessary files to get the size of my site down. I can maybe get it down by a few MBs, but it wouldn't be that significant. With that in mind, I don't know if Kharn would still be happy to let me smootch off of him.

So chances are this weekend I'll decide on a new domain name. Feel free to make suggestions.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 27, 2003 17:35      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Ok, some available domains are:

www.stgfc.com
www.fallout-community.com
www.deathclaws.com
www.ghoul-community.com
www.glowing-ones.com
www.scottys-crib.com

If you want to suggest a domain, go to http://hosting.verio.com/index.php/sweepstakes.html and check the availability first. Otherwise, lemme know what you guys think.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted February 27, 2003 18:23      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
stgfc.com is what I would say.

FALLOUTGOD
Wandering Hero
Member # 94

Member Rated:

posted February 27, 2003 19:42      Profile for FALLOUTGOD   Email FALLOUTGOD   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 161401573   
JELLO.COM ... i don't know...

--------------------

xcuse me while i kill my self
blow my brain across the wall
fuck you all, how do you do
fuck me? fuck you too
and now i end this all

xcuse me while...... i kill my seeeeeeeeeeeeeelf

Posts: 389 | From: some-place-near-hell | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 27, 2003 23:35      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Well, it probably will be stgfc.com because that was my original idea.

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted February 28, 2003 00:41      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Well I reckon you just go for your own domain name, then itll cut out the crap associated with having someone else host your site, hopefully.

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 28, 2003 11:38      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah. Plus, from what I understand, I should have the NPA subdomain where my site is now for a few months yet, I can just set up some temp pages redirecting traffic. And hopefully get search engines to point to the new site by then.

Knight_Wolf
Wandering Champion
Member # 92

Member Rated:

posted February 28, 2003 17:18      Profile for Knight_Wolf   Author's Homepage   Email Knight_Wolf   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 1477479369   
Yea I think the best would be www.stgfc.com

--------------------

If a man in a purple robe was crossing a bridge but snaps as he falls to his death and nobody is there to hear does he make a noise?

Posts: 179 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted March 01, 2003 07:59      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
well,if everyone think so,than who am I to argue?
www.stgfc.com

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 01, 2003 14:42      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Ok, stgfc.com it is! I registered the domain, and depending how quickly the DNS updates, you should be able to visit it within the next 24-48 hours.

MAD-Matt
Outsider
Member # 88

Rate Member

posted March 04, 2003 19:59      Profile for MAD-Matt       Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hey i like the new look and i see no problems i think you guys worry to much

--------------------

http://www.scooterdeath.com/
proud to be a crap farmer-MST3K

Posts: 31 | From: Mayville WI | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 04, 2003 20:21      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Neh, you can never worry too much, especially with a matter so great as a SMALL FALLOUT WEB SITE! Er.......

All times are Central Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community