my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » The countdown is on! (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: The countdown is on!
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 18, 2003 15:45      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
It's now just under twenty seven and a half hours until the U.S. probably goes off to war. For those of you who haven't been watching, the U.S. gave Saddam a 48 hour deadline last night at 7:00 (GMT -06:00) to leave the country or face the consequences. This morning one of Saddam's sons proclaimed that they wouldn't leave.

So it looks like war is inevitable.

With that in mind, what are your thoughts about it? Think it's a good or bad idea?

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 18, 2003 20:52      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I personally think that it is a good idea. For once, Bush decides to do something that will more than likely hurt the economy!

If the government reinstates the draft, I'll more than likely be going to war. I don't mind that though. I would love to go off to war.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted March 18, 2003 22:12      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Well put it this way, im extremely against Australian involvement in what is essentially America's war. I have been going to the protest rallies against our sending of troops to Iraq because I believe that we should not aid America in something that will make us, a relatively defenseless country a target for revenge attacks. We don't really have all that much to contribute to this war but the fact we are attacking Iraq is all that will be noticed by hostile parties.

I mean the US and Britain are capable of taking care of themselves but Australia is like a little kid running around waving a toy gun, eventually somebody is going to take our pop gun away and kick our arse if we interfere in the affairs of other nations.

On another note i am very skeptical of George Bush's motives in this war and very aware of his flagrant hypocrasy (sorry americans in the forum)
I mean he proposes to rid Iraq of weapons of mass distruction by invading them and using Weapons of mass destruction on them. (Yeah sure no nuclear and biological weapons but im pretty sure these super bombs the american army have been braggin about would cause mass destruction!)
He proposes to protect freedom and liberty by taking away the chance for most Iraqi people who don't have horns and a tail to lead a normal life.
I mean in one way there isn't any alternative to attacking Iraq because Saddam Hussein isnt going anywhere otherwise but I am afraid that what happens afterwards wont be much better, I mean it could be a short war with minimal damage and the Iraqis could make a sound government but something could get really fucked up and cause problems for another 100 years or so!

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 19, 2003 07:04      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Stapes, don't you mean help the economy? And chances are, with Bush's record, it won't help the economy in the least. Look at the Afghan war. That failed to boost the economy, and this war will probably take about the same amount of resources.

And Stapes, are you really that eager to go to war and get chemical weapons shot at you? If you are, sorry that's not bravery nor loyalty, but arrogance. To say "I'm being drafted to a war that could get me killed to protect the United States of America" is just shitty.

Next, Slurry, I do see you're point about Australia. I probably would be concerned in your position as well. Which leads me to the question, why is your government supporting us?

FALLOUTGOD
Wandering Hero
Member # 94

Member Rated:

posted March 19, 2003 15:19      Profile for FALLOUTGOD   Email FALLOUTGOD   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 161401573   
Naive, everyone else is a pussy and dosen't want to help a good cause. Because they know theres also a flipside and that you have to be either naive or stupid to help. However we want to take their fucking weapons and oil, they had their chace to deal peacefully and so now head are gunna roll. As for Australia they prolly aren't that stupid I think it's more like they wana porve them selves as capable and able to kick ass. However I think that will back fire like an old magnum in 5 year olds hands. I'm not certain how old the country is but from what I understand It's younger then the USA. with this kept in mind it's political system is still in the working and even more screwd up. It may seem better than ours now but it will with time reduce to the same crap. It always does, history repeats itself. The most important thing you guys should have learned in history class is that people don't learn from history. I leave you with those terrible thoughts in mind. Sweet dreams.

--------------------

xcuse me while i kill my self
blow my brain across the wall
fuck you all, how do you do
fuck me? fuck you too
and now i end this all

xcuse me while...... i kill my seeeeeeeeeeeeeelf

Posts: 389 | From: some-place-near-hell | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 19, 2003 15:25      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Even though there is still 3:30 left on the countdown, we have managed to jump start! WE HAVE BOMBED IRAQ TWICE!

Scotty, I did mean that he will hurt the economy. How can a war help the economy?

*starts singing B.O.B by Outkast* BOMBS OVER BAGHDAD!

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 19, 2003 15:45      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Well, bombing hardly counts in my mind. Even Clinton bombed Iraq a few times during his term as President.

And the reason I thought you meant help was because WCII did help the economy tremendously and basically got us all the way out of the depression. But this is overall different.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 19, 2003 16:00      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Yeah, the main reason I said hurt is because win or lose, we probably won't be getting any more of their oil and we will thence be without oil! That would mean no more vehicles, and no more gas!

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 19, 2003 20:05      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, that would suck. I remember back in the day when I first got my car, I could fill it up for almost half as much as it costs now.

Either way, the countdown is over. War is now unavoidable, and will probably break out within the next few days. I give it until the weekend at the latest.

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted March 19, 2003 22:05      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Exactly Scotty, why is our government helping? Thats the question of the day here in Australia.

I think its out of some sense of 'playing with the big boys' or something. We have this perverse habit of diving into other peoples wars out of this sense of moral obligation which isnt bad but in this case isnt good either. I don't know but I really think we should be minding our own business. Its kind of stupid to be playing a game we really aren't very good at.

And Stapes man if you are that eager to get out there and fight then something is wrong. The whole point of wars is to prevent future fighting, not as a chance to unload a can of whoopass.

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Slurrydevil ]

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 20, 2003 08:52      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Plus Stapes, those who are out there fighting and ready to die for the cause of the U.S. truly believe in what they are fighting for. They are all for defending our asses over in America, even the ones of us who are against what they are doing. If you want to go into the war and fight just for the sake of fighting with no other moral or psychological grounds to back your standing, then I really feel sorry for you man. There is much more to it than that.

rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted March 20, 2003 10:44      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty the Great:
Plus Stapes, those who are out there fighting and ready to die for the cause of the U.S. truly believe in what they are fighting for. They are all for defending our asses over in America, even the ones of us who are against what they are doing. If you want to go into the war and fight just for the sake of fighting with no other moral or psychological grounds to back your standing, then I really feel sorry for you man. There is much more to it than that.

I can't say I'm for this war, but Scotty is totally in the right. You must feel pretty shit after that post.

Oh and as for oil prices, you don't want to come over here..

[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: ishootghoulsonsight ]

--------------------

As I gaze up at the night sky in my own fair time, I look back down and see the devastation. This post-nuclear world. It's terrible. But at least we got Nuka-Cola, warm and flat, the drink of the post-apocalyptic civiliztion. Generation Next!

Posts: 466 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 20, 2003 15:30      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I don't care if you guys feel sorry for me. I also don't feel shitty.

Gas prices were starting to drop over here. Then they started going back up and are now what they were before.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 20, 2003 15:40      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, which sucks.

Anyways, everything appears to be moving incredibly fast with the war, faster than I would have imagined at least. Still, I doubt it'll end quickly like everyone is saying.

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted March 20, 2003 19:58      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
I don't think this war is going to last long at least. Saddam only has about 1/3 of the troops he had in the gulf war and a large amount of his infantry are conscripts who would run away from a gust of wind. They are already surrendering and the fighting has barely started.
I heard that they think Saddam plans to blow up dams and flood the countryside. He hasn't done much yet so I hope he isnt preparing something really nasty.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 20, 2003 21:28      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Well, what I feared is actually happening. Saddam is starting the oil on fire. That means that we might not be having any oil soon. He spoils the oil for all the other governmental people when they take over. That also means that our gas will go up drastically. Luckily it can only go up $.02 a day!

Heero Yuy
Vault Champion
Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted March 21, 2003 00:35      Profile for Heero Yuy   Email Heero Yuy   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NOOOOO!!! THE OIL!!!

--------------------

"I'll give you just one piece of advice... Dying hurts like hell." - Heero Yuy

Posts: 937 | From: Classified | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 21, 2003 06:57      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Only $.02 a day? What the hell are you talking about Stapes? Remember after September 11, the very next day everyone panicked for oil and some gas stations quadrupled their prices in a matter of minutes.

And yeah, I'm starting to get the uneasy feeling about Saddam's lack of activity. That either means that he is dead or he is planning something big that we don't know about. But yeah, at the rate it's going now, it looks like this will be over in a matter of days now.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 21, 2003 07:10      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Yes Scotty, only $.02 a day. It is a federal law that gas stations can only raise the price of gas that much a day. Anything higher than that and the gas station is subject to being closed or sued by hundreds of people. It happened after 9/11. 4 gas stations had to declare bancruptcy after they got sued by a lot of people.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 21, 2003 15:41      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Hrmph, could be, but I'd still prefer to see a source on that. It just doesn't sound right.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 21, 2003 21:39      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I heard that from my Ecology teacher. He said that there was a website out there for it, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted March 22, 2003 02:43      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
I hope this shit doesn't start a recession in america, its happened before due to oil prices. Firtly because a recession is bad for everyone in the west and worse for the poorer countries and secondly because if 'America sneezes the whole world catches a cold'

At least the coalition forces (which is a stupid name because they are about 99.9% made up of the American army) seem to be fighting this war in an honourable manner and are having better luck not missing and killing civilians as in the Gulf War.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 22, 2003 11:37      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
You can't really say that 99.9% is American forces, because we have British troops in Basra along with the American troops. Even though a majority of it is American troops, we wouldn't be able to be doing all of the bombings without the help of the countries surrounding Iraq.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 22, 2003 13:18      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
The coalition right now consists primarily of U.S. and Britian. The other countries are just ones that want to jump on the bandwagon and go with the winning team. They aren't doing anything really impressive for our side.

And we would be able to do most of the bombings even without the help of the border countries. We could still get close enough to bomb because of Iraq's closeness to the Persian Gulf. And besides, even if the other countries wouldn't let us use their land, we would still have Kuwait with us (remember who liberated them in 1991?)

Oh yeah, here is a list for the coalition of the willing:
Afghanistan, Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, the Philippines, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, South Korea, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom and Uzbekistan

Nice to see that we have the massive support of Eritrea and Latvia, otherwise we'd be screwed! Anyways, it's interesting to see that neither Canada nor New Zealand are on the list.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 22, 2003 21:46      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Let me guess Scotty, you have no clue as to where Eritrea and Latvia are! Eritrea is in Africa if I remember right, and Latvia is by Ethiopia and Lithuania.

You also have to look at the list you posted. Where is Kuwait on there? They are letting us use their land, but they don't support us. That is what I find interesting.

[ March 22, 2003: Message edited by: Stapes ]

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 23, 2003 00:57      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
The point isn't where they are, Stapes. The point is that they are little countries trying to play with the big boys. All of those countries with the exception of the UK and Australia aren't doing shit to help our efforts, so they hardly even count as allies really. I mean, seriously, it would not make the least bit of difference if all of those nations would drop their support for the U.S. We would still be doing just as good.

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted March 23, 2003 09:16      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
The Kiwis have been giving the US government the finger for years now about stuff like this but the Us doesn't give a crap because they are small and insignifigant in the scheme of things.
Canada is practising being neutral and staying the hell out of the way at the moment I think. They were one of the countries trying to keep peace at all costs and get the UN inspectors in initially and now they seem to be keeping very quiet, probably because they don't want anyone to get mad at them about anything, smart people.

Sorry for being so cynical, my mum is a bitter lefty and I think she is making me anti establishment just by listening to her

Stapes about the percentage incase you hadn't noticed it was an exaggeration, I do that a lot

[ March 23, 2003: Message edited by: Slurrydevil ]

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted March 24, 2003 11:54      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
things r pretty calm in israel now.
although we sealed our homes and shit,Sadam havent sent scuds,and i dont think he will.

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 24, 2003 13:01      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, I don't think he will do much anymore, either. That seems to be the general concensus around here: "The war is pretty much over, we won."

I just hope we're not all wrong.

FALLOUTGOD
Wandering Hero
Member # 94

Member Rated:

posted March 25, 2003 21:27      Profile for FALLOUTGOD   Email FALLOUTGOD   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 161401573   
I'm lost on where any of this is going...

--------------------

xcuse me while i kill my self
blow my brain across the wall
fuck you all, how do you do
fuck me? fuck you too
and now i end this all

xcuse me while...... i kill my seeeeeeeeeeeeeelf

Posts: 389 | From: some-place-near-hell | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 28, 2003 11:05      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I just received an e-mail from one of my family members. The subject line read "Canada Pitches In!". Well, I didn't think anything about it until I read the message. They promised to send their 2 biggest battleships, 6,000 ground troops, and 60 fighter planes.

However...... after the exchange rate, that comes down to a canoe, 2
Mounties and a flying squirrel....

I found that to be quite funny!

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 28, 2003 23:06      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, it's beautiful. I especially like the flying squirrel

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted March 28, 2003 23:43      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Man, don't underestimate the destructive power of a flying squirrel!!

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 29, 2003 00:00      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
WHAT ABOUT THE CANOE WITH THE TWO MOUNTIES!!!! Mounties are considered to be the best police officers in the WORLD! The Royal Canadian Mounted Police is probably the equivalent of all the cops in all of the big cities in the US, only better.

The flying squirrel part was funny also!

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted March 29, 2003 21:30      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
They dress in red! I mean the British gave up wearing red 100 years ago because people could see and shoot them from a mile away. I mean get with the times, camoflage is the in thing!!

I guess if your a cop red is a pretty good intimidation colour for clothes. The British Redcoats were fairly intimidating for the same reason.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

All times are Central Time
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community