my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Fallout 3   » The future of Fallout 3

Printable Version
Author Topic: The future of Fallout 3
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 23, 2003 10:35      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
In a recent interview between HomeLAN and Feargus, there will be a Fallout 3. However, right now it looks like the game will have a 3D engine and REAL-TIME COMBAT! Check it out for yourself:

HomeLAN - It seems like there is always a new mention of fans wondering when Fallout 3 will start production. Why do you think this game series continues to generate much interest?

Feargus Urquhart - Ultimately, I think it is the feel of the world that really draws people to the Fallout games. It's a lot like how people are still drawn to certain movies like Blade Runner. The Fallout team did an extraordinary job of portraying a cohesive whole when it came to the world, the story, the inhabitants, and the game rules. Each item just reinforced the other and made people really feel like they were there.

HomeLAN - You recently announced that you want to get Fallout 3 under development at some point. Have you thought at all about what the general gameplay design will be like for the sequel?

Feargus Urquhart - That's a tough question to answer without having a horde of screaming people at my door asking for my head. However, I can say what I've been saying for a while, which is that Fallout 3 will still feel and play a lot like the previous Fallouts. It will need to be a more modern game though in relation to how the game plays and the graphics engine involved. What I mean by that is that we will be using a 3D engine and there will most likely be a real-time combat mode. I know there are people out there that feel this ruins Fallout, but I think they will be surprised as to how well it works once they play it.

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Scotty the Great ]

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Knight_Wolf
Wandering Champion
Member # 92

Member Rated:

posted February 23, 2003 18:02      Profile for Knight_Wolf   Author's Homepage   Email Knight_Wolf   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 1477479369   
Hmnmmmmmm fallout 3 .....Well all I got to say is it better be good!

--------------------

If a man in a purple robe was crossing a bridge but snaps as he falls to his death and nobody is there to hear does he make a noise?

Posts: 179 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 23, 2003 22:41      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, well, two things are wrong with the vision for it right now:

1) It's gonna be 3D. I fear that this will ruin the traditional Fallout 2D atmosphere.
2) This is the big one, it's gonna be Real-Time Combat. I liked F1 and F2 because you had the chance to think carefully about each move before doing it. You had to strategize. So many memorable battles just by using great strategy. In Tactics, no such thing as all I ever did was arm my guys, run into a room, and kick some ass. No sweat, but no strategy either.

So with that said, unless these are changed, Fallout 3 will probably suck.

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted February 24, 2003 08:43      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Yeah I agree, but Fallout 3 could be 3d and turn based at the same time, if that was done right it could be really cool, you know like burning oil drums and glowing nuclear sludge, more background noise, explosions, but the system could essentially be exactly the same.

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 24, 2003 17:45      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, well, 3D could work if they actually spent more than eight months on the game and did a good job with it. But I fear that it will be rushed, and therefore crap.

But it's gotta be turn-based. I'm really gonna be pissed if they put it in real time. I don't want another CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK Diablo 2-type game. I want a FALLOUT-type game! It wouldn't even be that bad if they made it with a turn-based default and a secondary real-time option. However, I doubt they would take the time to actually be that wise. And I mean keep them completely separated. The way they did it in Tactics annoyed the hell out of me.

Knight_Wolf
Wandering Champion
Member # 92

Member Rated:

posted February 24, 2003 18:08      Profile for Knight_Wolf   Author's Homepage   Email Knight_Wolf   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 1477479369   
Well I love in f1 and f2 Were you can explore the places towns and crap thats the best But for the battle I liked how they did it in Tactics And you can contol the other guys I love that..

But I hope they have plenty of places to visit in F3

--------------------

If a man in a purple robe was crossing a bridge but snaps as he falls to his death and nobody is there to hear does he make a noise?

Posts: 179 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 24, 2003 18:28      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
It would be cool to control all of your guys, but still, I'm sure they can find a turn-based method of doing that.

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted February 25, 2003 10:36      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
I too think that if it will be real time,it will just suck bigtime.
Fallout is unique because its RPG,if u want real time play,go and play unreal tournament.

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted February 28, 2003 00:52      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
I think the thing i've noticed that I love about Fallout and that sums it up for me is the environment. All the rough characters, drugs, swearing, dirty dealings. Its like nothing else out there. Its so refreshing after playing about a million pansy ass fantasy games.

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 28, 2003 11:48      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, the environment was nice, but still I loved the battles. So many times it was a single move that could win or lose the fight, and you had to really strategize to make sure that you didn't mess it up. And as I said before, in real time it's just hack & slash, no real strategy.

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted March 03, 2003 08:13      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
*cough* Diablo series *cough*

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 03, 2003 15:57      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I liked D2 until recently. All of my accounts got hacked. I don't have jackshit on one of my accounts. The other accounts they just left all the shitty items.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 03, 2003 17:49      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Well, I stopped playing it quite some time ago. Got tired of the repitition.

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted March 04, 2003 05:00      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
What happened to me is I just played it and played it, totally addicted then one day I asked myself 'why the hell do I bother?', so I stopped.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 04, 2003 06:35      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Impressive. Most people can't throw an addiction just by questining it.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted March 04, 2003 16:25      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I don't know, I don't think that I'll be going back onto D2 for awhile. I guess it just got me pissed off, and all that ever happens is people rush me through the whole game.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted March 04, 2003 20:26      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Exactly! Rushing sucks the fun right outta the game. No challenge whatsoever.

Eh, either way, the game didn't have much replay value to begin with for me.

All times are Central Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community