my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Fallout 2   » Hello there, new player here...

Printable Version
Author Topic: Hello there, new player here...
Keln
Outsider
Member # 154

Rate Member

posted November 29, 2003 02:57      Profile for Keln   Email Keln   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So I was all bummed out the other day because I'd been told once again by my wife "You can't go buy yourself new games so close to christmas, what if someone already got you one"

Well, I needed a new game to play so I started to rummage through my old computer parts and found a few CDROMS shoved into a manual on how to play Lords of the Realm2 (hehe, a classic). Wouldn't you know it, one of the discs was Fallout2. I stared at it for a while and came to the conclusion, that I'd bought the game but never really played it. I don't remember why I never played it, but I slipped it into my laptop anyways and woah! I'm hooked! I'm having an absolute blast playing this game...and I'm kicking myself for leaving the poor ting out there in that cardboard box soo long.

So, a few questions have I to ask those of you here:

1. Is it really still such a popular game? I mean, how's the replayability?

2. Does the food in the game actually serve any purpose?

3. Where can I find a merchant that has, oh, about $50,000 on him...I'm sporting half a department store now and I'm only in Reno!

4. Is there a way to keep the big mutant guy you get in Broken Hills from obliterating your entire party with his "minigun" without basically taking his toy away? The combat options dont seem to allow "Stop shooting your buddies".

5. My Karma says "Shield of Hope" - Does that mean anything or is that just another goodboy "title"?

I'll look through the forums more deeply later, but these questions are the ones burning in my mind at the moment. So if any of you are bored enough to aid a FO2 n00b...I'd be much obliged.

--------------------

"I'm tryin' to like people, it's just so hard filtering out all the stupid ones."

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 29, 2003 05:05      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Welcome to StGFC Keln!, its good to see people rediscovering the magic of Fallout
Anyway ill try to answer your questions:

1 Yes the Fallout series is still really popular, it has a massive cult following all over the world and a humongous internet presence. Its one of the most replayable games i have ever seen with the random encounters, character customisability and the quests making it different every time you play it.

2 No the food is just for fun, most of it has been shrink wrapped since before the apocalypse so its not edible

3 The best idea with items is to trade them for items you need, not hold out for gold, because most merchants dont have too much. The whole point of the bartering system is to avoid only exchanging money for good and vice versa. You need to trade those goods for stims, ammo, new weapons and armour and other essentials. But if you want gold, just go around and talk to everyone and trade a little away at a time.

4 Marcus is a bit of a moron when it comes to shooting the other characters. You can talk to him and change his combat options to make him more cautious before he lets rip with a burst shot. But sometimes its just a matter of keeping out of his way.

5 Well karma does make a difference, if you have good karma some people will talk to you more but some bad ass characters wont, because you are a do gooder. Dont get reputation confused however, its just a rewards thing, it doesnt actually make a difference.

Im going from memory, so if i got something wrong, correct me, dont wanna confuse the guy

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted November 29, 2003 10:30      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
I think its all good slurry.
And for marcus.give him a non burst weapon.
A plasma rifle or turbo plasma if u can.
Flamethrowers miniguns and especially rocket launchers are not healthy for u in his hands [Cool]

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Keln
Outsider
Member # 154

Rate Member

posted November 29, 2003 11:35      Profile for Keln   Email Keln   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the informative and friendly response!

I missed a question I meant to ask. I run XP, and I was wondering if the game runs better in a compatability mode? I haven't put it on one yet, but it still crashes occaisionally. I know that some other older games I have seem to be more stable when run on compatability of win95 or 98.

Also, does anyone else not use anything like stimpacks and healing powders? I'm completely clean...except once I used jet to pry open a door in the vault. My char is smart but not super strong.

Is it even possible to go through the whole game not using stimpacks? So far so good and I'm almost done killing all the families in new reno.

--------------------

"I'm tryin' to like people, it's just so hard filtering out all the stupid ones."

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 30, 2003 06:47      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Well im thinking that it wouldn't make much difference. I've played F2 on both XP and 98 and there seems to be little difference in crash rates to me. So I wouldn't worry, it does crash sometimes (gee thanks intergay)

And you dont need to worry about stims, they are a necessary part of the game, super stim abuse is a bad idea though. Healing powder is pretty much superflous after a certain point because its inferior to stims in every way, especially once you get Myron, who can make his own.

I dont use jet much, you can get by without it and its sort of demeaning, like being addicted to drugs in real life. I sometimes have to use buffout or mentats for tricky jobs, but i dont depend on them.

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Keln
Outsider
Member # 154

Rate Member

posted November 30, 2003 12:34      Profile for Keln   Email Keln   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yeah, hehe. i had to finally use stimpaks in that fight aginst those raiders. They almost whacked me. Good thing I had about 30 of those things on me.

--------------------

Sharp4850
Outsider
Member # 167

Rate Member

posted December 20, 2003 13:17      Profile for Sharp4850     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
just dont overdose on super stims, or you may find yourself "dead while traveling." he he

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted December 20, 2003 16:52      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
em. sharp,dude,man i really id appreciate if u dont post in outdated posts,ok?

--------------------

No one is perfect

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted December 20, 2003 18:42      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
whats wrong with bringing back and old thread?

............hmmm i guess its not good to just add a comment though without raising new questions to keep the thread going..

btw welcome to the forums Sharp. Don't worry about posting, Gauss just means that its best to stick with forums that have seen activity and post stuff people can react to.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted December 21, 2003 06:37      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
Yea thats what i mean [Tongue Job 1]

--------------------

No one is perfect

All times are Central Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community