Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Fallout 2   » Few questions (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Few questions
Turboman
Outsider
Member # 169

Rate Member

posted December 25, 2003 14:04      Profile for Turboman   Email Turboman   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post
Hello everyone, i recently bought fallout 2 after alot of my friends recommended it to me, i am totally new to this game (and to the whole rpg genre) i really love it and i think im already nearing the end of the game but i have some questions.

1. is there any other way to acces the sierra ammo depot without the gang missions? i had some troubles with some gangs after working for salvatore and mordino so i decided to kill them all, however a friend of mine told me that i was not supposed to kill the wright family because they will give you acces to the sierra army depot, but at the moment im already halfway further in the game and i dont have any saved games left from before the killing spree.

2. would playing fallout 1 help in understanding the entire plot of the game? i understand the geck thing but i have no clue who the enclave are or what kind of armageddon turned the beautiful state of california into a wasteland, and all those references to that vault 13 make me believe it had an important role before the player excisted.

3. are there certain area's (apart from the mutant attacks, travellers, thieves) that appear randomly and such? i was once travelling thru the desert near new reno and i suddenly encountered a spot with the text unknown (yknow what you see when you first enter a city) revealing some kind of canyon simular to the one in arroyo but after loading a previous game i returned to the same spot and couldnt find it!

4. do the people that join you in your quest also gain experience like you do? or do they just stay dumb forever? because i notice some of my fellow travellers seem to gain more health and react better while others stay dumb and stay at the same health

5. what are the enclave exactly? is it something i should play fallout 1 for? is it some kind of invading alien force? goverment troopers? and why those big bulky space suits?

6. what is the purpose of the whale crash site and the broken dreams cafe? i couldnt do anything in there and in the cafe the people were making jokes about fallout players.

7. final question, is there a sequel planned for this game? i really love it and im gonna try to get my hands on the first game but i would love to see it in 3d with stunning effects and detail.

i would be really happy to get my answers on these questions, but the most important would be the siera ammo depot since my friend told me that you get your hands on some powerfull robot dude over there.

[ December 25, 2003: Message edited by: Turboman ]

[ December 25, 2003: Message edited by: Turboman ]

Posts: 12 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 25, 2003 16:18      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
I'll try to answer.

1. Sorry, but no, there isnt.

2. You could, but i finished fallout 2 before even playing fallout 1, so it isnt necessary.

3. It is called random encounters, and often contains goodies, or just funny stuff. they appear randomly, hence the name.

4. They level up, but they can only gain 5-6 levels.

5. they are government troopers, and play a mayor role in the game.

6. They are random encounters, and have absolutely none purpose. though, you can recruit the dog in cafe of broken dreams by either talking to him when you are wearing vault suit or give him meat jerky.

7. There may be, but interplay has shelved it to make Fallout: Bos2. but, some company may be buying it and produce it.(which i dont recommend you to play)

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Ratty:
You are now the Spam God of Fallout community!

Posts: 766 | From: Sweden, Luleå | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted December 25, 2003 16:30      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 292282245
OK listen.
Playing F1 will surely benefit you but it isnt a must do.
I myself played only F2 for lot of time before I played F1.
The sierra army depot is only accesible if the wrights give you the mission to get in there.
YOu can get a robot NPC there which is a very good helper,however you wont be able to get him without high science skill(even 100 is not enough as i recall,maybe 120-130 im not sure).
Best way to do in reno is to do all familys jobs by certain order.
some familys give a job to kill an other family so better the all the jobs before killing all familys.I dont remember the correct order so maybe 1 of the guys can help.
Cafe of broken dreams,thw whale and the canyon(which is actualy bridge of death) are all special encounters in the game,that are available only to characters with high luck.
They appear randomly on the map so you basicly just need to wait untill you get the encounter.
Their purpose is to entertain and make the game cooler and more fun :,however,you can make good use of some of them.
YOur party members,NPCs,Gain exp as well.
Usualy after you level several times while they in your company they will lvl once,but will be significantly stronger as if they leveld several times.
As for the enclave,they got nothing to do with F1,and i wont tell you about them since it will spoil your gaming
Ofcourse you can read walkthroughs,however i recommed you not to do that.
It it really fun to finish the game by yourself.

If i missed anything ask ,and welcome to the community!

[ December 25, 2003: Message edited by: Gauss ]

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Turboman
Outsider
Member # 169

Rate Member

posted December 25, 2003 16:48      Profile for Turboman   Email Turboman   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post
Thanks guys, that really helped me out.

if i knew i could recruit the dog i would have actually saved over there, but unfortunately i didnt, oh well i guess thats another reason for replaying the game after i finished it

im now figuring out how to help those people at the tanker in the new san francisco, i tried to get into the military base before but i dont stand a chance against the powerfull flamethrowers, i guess that means completing more quests for better skills

oh and one more thing, i cant use big weapons like assault rifles for some reason, every time a message displays that im not strong enough, i tried upgrading my skills in big guns (am about 80% now) but it still displays the same message, is it because the character i chose (chitsa) just isnt able to carry big guns no matter what? or am i missing something?

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted December 25, 2003 16:58      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 292282245
Minimum strength for big guns is 6,some require 7.
If u chose the pre made char,as I recall she doesnt have 6 str so u cant use the guns properly.
BTW assault rifle is not a big gun its a small gun.
And the skill got nothing to do with that msg,u just will miss if you arent skilled enough.80 is low get 120 for biguns that ll be good,since u dont need to aim with them.
BTW the charcater you chose doesnt even have a tag on any guns if im correct you better make your own character and make 1 weapon skills tagged,because without a priamry offensive skill its hard..

[ December 25, 2003: Message edited by: Gauss ]

--------------------

No one is perfect

Turboman
Outsider
Member # 169

Rate Member

posted December 25, 2003 17:26      Profile for Turboman   Email Turboman   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post
thanks for the info, i decided to go with the pre made characters because i had no clue with the skills (remember this is one of the first rpg i played in my life ) but next time if i start all over again ill adjust my skills till they perfectly fit.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted December 26, 2003 01:06      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 83373429
Yeah, I remember the first time I played Fallout I had no idea what was going on and just took a premade as well.

All is not lost with your character, though; you can get extra strength if you have the right memory card and use it in the BoS base in San Fran, and wearing certain armors will boost strength as well.

Oh, and welcome to the Community.

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 26, 2003 04:47      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
i didnt take a premade, but it took me an hour to get past the locked door in temple of trials but of course i got past the second door almost immediately...

--------------------

quote:

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted December 26, 2003 05:32      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 106347609   
wtf? I didn't think you needed any lockpicking skillz to open that door, i thought it was just so's you understood how to lockpick...

Maybe im thinking of the wrong door, do u mean the one you have to pick or the one you blow up?

btw welcome to the community Turboman, stick around and you can ask stuff when u play Fallout. And i say 'when' because you HAVE to get it lol, its a must.

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Turboman
Outsider
Member # 169

Rate Member

posted December 26, 2003 05:37      Profile for Turboman   Email Turboman   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post
thanks for the info guys,

heh i feel like an idiot at this game, it took me about half an hour to try to understand the character selection menu and i didnt know what to do at the first level, thank god a friend of mine told me that you can lockpick doors and even blow them up

the captain of that tanker just told me that my friends were captured by the enclave in an oil rig and he also revealed the true story about the enclave, im trying to gain alot of experience points to get better in combat so i may survive longer then a few turns in combat against the enclave.

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted December 26, 2003 07:13      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 292282245
OK just some important info about character selection\making:
you can have 3 tag skills of your choice.
each tag skill is increased twice as fast then a normal skill(tag skills are highlighted in white).

Strength affects mele dmg,ability to handle weapons(5-all small guns,6-energy weapons and some big guns,7-all guns),carry weight and maybe something more i cant remember.

Peception affects your combat range,and noticing some things during the game which is always usefull.

Endurance-Hp,resistance,healing rate.

Charisma-divide it by 2 and you know how many NPCs u can have.

Agility-MAX it and u have 10 aps,less-less aps.

Inteligence- affects how many skills points u get per lvl and if you are incredibly dumb then you cant understand complex things and talk like a moron.

Luck-affects critical chance and chance to get special encounters.

Each of these also affect the appropriate skills.for example luck-gambling,charisma-barter etc..

IN the Trait selection,always ALWAYS choose gifted(+1 to all parameters) and something else you like.

I remember my 1st char was premade too,NARG hehe

[ December 26, 2003: Message edited by: Gauss ]

[ December 26, 2003: Message edited by: Gauss ]

--------------------

No one is perfect

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 26, 2003 07:38      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
quote:
Originally posted by Slurry:
wtf? I didn't think you needed any lockpicking skillz to open that door, i thought it was just so's you understood how to lockpick...
Maybe im thinking of the wrong door, do u mean the one you have to pick or the one you blow up?

you dont need any lockpick skills, i just didnt figure i would have to lockpick it

--------------------

quote:

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted December 26, 2003 11:27      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 83373429
Well, I always had lockpick as a tag skill in F1, so by the time I played F2 I was intimately familiar with it. It was pretty useless for the most part, though, as a tag skill; I only really used it to pick the lock on Killian's safe.

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 26, 2003 12:53      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
yeah, but i didnt start to tag lockpick in f2 until i completed it several times and read a walkthrough about it [Tongue Job 1] i never really used lockpick much until now, i usually just blow the hell out of the door

--------------------

quote:

Turboman
Outsider
Member # 169

Rate Member

posted December 26, 2003 15:08      Profile for Turboman   Email Turboman   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post
okay one more question, i recently stacked up on alot of car power but i am running out of it right now, so i was wondering if there are any persons from wich i can buy batteries/fuel cells, i know smitty, the bazaar trader in NCR have fuel cells for sale but i havent found any others
and do they restock on fuel cells every time? or is it once only?

[ December 26, 2003: Message edited by: Turboman ]

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 26, 2003 15:30      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
most of your micro fusion cells you find at the enclave. though, if you found san fran, theres a trader to the right who sells it all the time.

--------------------

quote:

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted December 26, 2003 16:30      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 292282245
BTW,if you dont have the fuel cell regulator it runs out real fast.
YOu can find it in Klamath in trapper town at the end of the rats tunnels theres an exit to the outside.
then u can go to the wrecked car and get it.
IF u already know this then arcanus already told u where to get more micro cells.

--------------------

No one is perfect

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 26, 2003 16:32      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
i hate going through those tunnels. its so boring to enter combat, kill a rat in one punch, exit combat, enter combat again because a stupid rat didnt see you until now, kill it, exit combat and so on. i guess its worth it though, it spares you a shitload of micro cells

--------------------

quote:

Turboman
Outsider
Member # 169

Rate Member

posted December 26, 2003 18:08      Profile for Turboman   Email Turboman   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post
never mind about my last question, for some reason every trader i meet (even some travellers in the desert) seem to have a few micro fusion cells for sale, though its at a quite big price (about 1500 a 2000 per 50) but i earned that easily by fighting raiders, those guys have alot of valuable guns

yes i know about the fuell cell regulator, i remember fighting the rats was one of my first combat i ever done in the game, the rat god was really hard to kill the first time although with my current skill i could probably do it blindly and left handed, got pretty pissed that my award was this fuel cell regulator wich i had no clue about, later on i found out that i can hardly live without it

i really love the way that every decision has some influence on your reputation and your future, for example there is little to do for me in reno since i absolutely messed up over there, but in most other towns i am idolized, just too bad i missed that robot dude in the sierra ammo depot

i agree that the turn based combat could be annoying some times when fighting small enemies, i get absolutely bored when fighting giant ants or rats at the moment.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted December 26, 2003 23:44      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 83373429
Yeah, I know what you mean. But for harder enemies, I think turn-based works the best in the Fallout world. I've been in some damn good battles in my day that would've been completly different and not as memorable it was real time.

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 27, 2003 05:26      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
if it wouldnt be turn based combat it would be a pain to aim your shots. though i wish there was a mod which deletes all hostile creatures with less than 25 hps...

--------------------

quote:

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted December 27, 2003 11:51      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 83373429
That may be a good idea. However, it would probably work better to boost the hp of lower level creatures instead.

Turboman
Outsider
Member # 169

Rate Member

posted December 27, 2003 12:15      Profile for Turboman   Email Turboman   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post
been playing non-stop fallout 2 today (tonight ill take a break ) and i finally managed to get into the abandoned military base safely by using a different tactic, usually i would just enter it with my weak skills and get killed by a mutant horde after two turns but this time i decided to camp near the elevator and retreat whenever i feel weak, it worked pretty well and i managed to find an advanced power armor in one of those barracks, its alot better now i can carry the bigger guns, though i wish i just upgraded my weapon skills a bit more (still seem to miss everything if its more then 2 steps away from me at 80%)

and finally i got myron to shoot with guns, he can use the smg and desert eagle pretty well, he also doesnt act like a coward like he did before [Tongue Job 1]

now for another question, is there a way to order your team to retreat during battle? sometimes my teammates run into my way at the enemies and start punching them and they always get themselves killed.

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 27, 2003 13:41      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
you have to use the "combat control" option when you're talking to them, then press custom and...uh, custom. other than that, there is no way. thanks to that i lost 3 npc's just today and 3 good npcs! at least 2 of them. the other one i killed. guess who?(it was myron)

--------------------

quote:

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted December 27, 2003 14:01      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 83373429
Yeah, use Custom combat controls; that's what I typically use. Also, just be glad that the NPCs are better than those in F1.

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 27, 2003 14:16      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
myron is almost as crappy as ian. i only use him to get the jet quest.

--------------------

quote:

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted December 27, 2003 14:49      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 292282245
Never got him as an npc.because he so damn crappy,cant fight at all!
Cassidy and the robot are the best.

--------------------

No one is perfect

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 27, 2003 15:09      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
cassidy is with no doubt the best one. but the robot is too hard to get. vic is kind of useful i you get him a gauss rifle. marcus would be good if he didnt favor weaponry that kills teammates

--------------------

quote:

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted December 27, 2003 15:14      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 83373429
Myron was at least good at being a comic relief, if nothing else. Ian was completly useless, unless you just packed all your stuff on him and used 'em as a mule.

Also, I never cared for the robot.

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 27, 2003 16:08      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
ian was good at killing the radscorps in shady sands

--------------------

quote:

Sharp4850
Outsider
Member # 167

Rate Member

posted December 27, 2003 19:32      Profile for Sharp4850     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post
ian was an okay npc compared to myron. he usually got killed at necropolis though. and when i told him to leave and talked to him again he attacked me... that wasnt too smart though.
i actuall ylike sulik alot. i get him right off at the beggining of f2 and he levels up with me. he's awesome with the supersledge later on in the game, and usually sticks to my 6 in combat.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted December 27, 2003 20:42      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 83373429
Yeah, Sulik was pretty good. For Ian, I tried keepin' him around the entire game a couple of times, but he only lasted until the mutant base.

Plus, I know what you mean by that whole thing where he attacks you after you tell him to leave. That happened to me a couple of times, so I had to kill the poor bastard. I still haven't figured out why he decided to just attack. Guess he was feelin' lucky

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 28, 2003 04:47      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
sharp, sulik is teh ruxx0r if you give him a H&K G11E. i usually give him a SMG in the den and then gives him better stuff.

--------------------

quote:

Turboman
Outsider
Member # 169

Rate Member

posted December 28, 2003 08:48      Profile for Turboman   Email Turboman   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post
hmm quite strange but when i entered the base in navarro i had to free this deathclaw and it runs off to freedom after i found the key to the exit, however later on if i save the game he suddenly reappears everywhere i go, he doesnt follow me but he just appears standing near me every place i go in the base, is this a bug?

[ December 28, 2003: Message edited by: Turboman ]

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted December 28, 2003 09:28      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post   UIN: 191218899
its probably a bug, although none i ever have encountered.

--------------------

quote:

All times are Central Time
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community