my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Fallout 2   » The Fallout 2 Time Limit (EXPERTS WANTED)

Printable Version
Author Topic: The Fallout 2 Time Limit (EXPERTS WANTED)
Dream-Weaver
Outsider
Member # 175

Rate Member

posted January 08, 2004 19:48      Profile for Dream-Weaver   Email Dream-Weaver   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay here is my sad story...

I have played fallout 2 for many years (since it came out) and I love the game so much that i literally play it beyond the the ending (after the enclave) however I am faced with a big problem. The fallout 2 game has a timelimit (Most people have know idea what this is so listen carefully) The game has a maximum duration of thirteen years which means that if you made a character at the age of 17 your game will automatically end at the age of 30.

My question is: Is there any way to somehow change this unlucky number 13 (representing max years) to a higher number so that i can play fallout 2 for a much longer time?

I have Called the company (yes you heard me) i called them and there phone service is no longer avalible. So i emailed them -- and guess what there email is no longer valid -- So this is my last hope -- I need the fans of fallout 2 to help me to resolve this issue.

You are my last hope. Please dont let my love for fallout 2 die out...

BTW: I am sure this can be done in the fallout 2 master.dat file but since i am not well trained in the arts of modding i dont know how to decode the "symbol language" that comes up (it will only let me open the master.dat file in windows word) Any information/help will be much appriciated!

Sharp4850
Outsider
Member # 167

Rate Member

posted January 08, 2004 21:56      Profile for Sharp4850     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
im sure that somebody on this community will know... they just do. and if there isnt a way to do it im sure that theyll make a mod eventually...

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted January 08, 2004 23:34      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Right now, I don't know of any way to remove that time limit. But we are going to be working on a F2 mod shortly anyway, and removing the limit could easily be included in it.

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dream-Weaver
Outsider
Member # 175

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 05:02      Profile for Dream-Weaver   Email Dream-Weaver   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am very happy to here that this timelimit might be fixed in a mod.

However i am concerned because mods usually are about changing the game - so if i download this mod (not out yet) then the whole game will be different -- Are mods usually for the better? and are they hard to download?

Ex. Is downloading a mod like downloading a patch?

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted January 09, 2004 06:59      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
O cmon, if you cant get the geck in the amount of time they give you, you are a pansy lol

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 07:57      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191218899
everything is possible if you edit the files. i have no doubt that it is a way to delete the timelimit

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Ratty:
You are now the Spam God of Fallout community!

Posts: 766 | From: Sweden, Luleå | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted January 09, 2004 08:25      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
You dont even know anything about this stuff hehe

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 10:05      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191218899
of course i dont! but i gotta post you know

--------------------

quote:

tommyk
Outsider
Member # 172

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 10:11      Profile for tommyk   Email tommyk   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 216668337
Slurrydevil thats not his problem, If u read the post you see that he continue to play AFTER the enclave.. Just for fun.. But theres a time limit even after that.. If i read it right, I dont know, havent even finished the game yet he he /tommyk.

Posts: 33 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 10:15      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191218899
tommyk jag visste inte att du var från sverige

--------------------

quote:

tommyk
Outsider
Member # 172

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 10:16      Profile for tommyk   Email tommyk   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 216668337
nu vet du! , sthlm even

Posts: 33 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dream-Weaver
Outsider
Member # 175

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 11:20      Profile for Dream-Weaver   Email Dream-Weaver   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of any current mods that get rid of this timelimit?

Is there a way to edit the timelimit manually from the master.dat file?

-- I would very much prefere to change the timelimit without downloading a mod that could change the game (for better or worse)becasue i like it just how it is.

Thanks again for all of your support. I hope together we can work out this problem. Thank you.

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 11:30      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191218899
ill check the master and see if i find something...

*edit* nevermind, it took me half an hour to start it. i gave up after that time anyway.

[ January 09, 2004: Message edited by: Arcanus ]

--------------------

quote:

Dream-Weaver
Outsider
Member # 175

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 12:11      Profile for Dream-Weaver   Email Dream-Weaver   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What program do you use to open the master.dat file?

I could only open it with windows word document however the font is encripted with symbols and there are over 6500 pages of text.

Do i need to open this with a type of engine? or special program?

Arcanus
Vault Veteran
Member # 158

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 13:01      Profile for Arcanus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191218899
i used word. you'd probably need some kind of program.

--------------------

quote:

Dream-Weaver
Outsider
Member # 175

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 16:58      Profile for Dream-Weaver   Email Dream-Weaver   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This message is for "Scotty the great"

You said "they" are making a new mod that could include this.

How are "they" and what type of stuff is usually in the mod?

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted January 09, 2004 17:24      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
Well after arcanuss spamming spree,ehm i mean lame try to help(jk arc )u just better wait till 1 of the mod team ppl will answer u.

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dream-Weaver
Outsider
Member # 175

Rate Member

posted January 09, 2004 20:18      Profile for Dream-Weaver   Email Dream-Weaver   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay - I will wait for them to answer.

If anyone here acually solves this problem for me (and for everyone who plays fallout 2) i am going to pay that person $20.00 through paypal (assuming they have an account) just because im such a nice guy!

I dont know if the admins allow that kind of "talk" on this forum but i think it would be fun as some sort of contest or something...

or maybe i am just retarded?

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted January 09, 2004 23:10      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Ok, what we are doing (meaning me as well as the other Community members involved) is making a mod for F2. Right now we have decided for certain to add another main quest; the problem is we haven't figured out what this quest will be for sure yet (though there are a lot of great ideas being tossed around).

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dream-Weaver
Outsider
Member # 175

Rate Member

posted January 10, 2004 08:02      Profile for Dream-Weaver   Email Dream-Weaver   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How long do you think this new mod will take?

Dream-Weaver
Outsider
Member # 175

Rate Member

posted January 10, 2004 10:58      Profile for Dream-Weaver   Email Dream-Weaver   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is there anything i can do to help you guys?

All times are Central Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community