my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » Other   » Stupid Stuff   » neo java (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: neo java
Neo
Wanderer
Member # 124

Rate Member

posted September 25, 2003 22:23      Profile for Neo   Email Neo   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ive neva heard of a game called Baldurs Gate

--------------------

Neo

Posts: 68 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted September 26, 2003 02:16      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You really should. The game was a respectable affair.

But I've said this so many times - any game that tells you to PAUSE the game during combat, has already shown that it is the worst combat system ever seen in an RPG before and taking 5 minutes each turn to select spells like 'Large Bastardiser + 4' takes any believability away from the world.

It was Rat Keeng who managed to somehow graft FOBOS and BG together - 'I'm glad I'm wearing Thong of Protection + 5'

And the bloody creatures in Baldur's Gate 2! I mean, Dragons, Bigger Dragons, Red Big Dragons, Big Silver Dragons, Big Silver Dragons that can engage in conversation.

AND GENIES! Everything single thing mentioned in any fairytale or fantasy fan-fiction has been snapped up for a world that could not possibly hope to exist. Awful.

And I don't want to rescue whiny little Imoen! I tell you why! - the attitude between group chars and the player is kept at a constant always - and Imoen's never says anything in the opening stages to make me think otherwise. I put it to you, that Fallout delivers likeable or despicably likeable characters and never tries to rescue them, which is bloody fantastic.

BEGGARS! BEGGARS ON THE STREETS! Not what I was looking for in what claims to be some 'heroic fantasy'. Beggars. How the hell can there be beggars? Have they been outside!? You can't go anywhere without getting your arse kicked. Surely this man should have a sword, surely this man would have been called up. Surely not it seems. And then NOBLEMAN, rich freaks, prostitutes. Any hope of this fantasy game being escapist, have long gone.

It's also bloody annoying how little completing a quest does for the heart. It does nothing. Doing a good thing! I FEEL NOTHING! WHY the HELL do I feel LOCKED inside an INTERFACE! I'll tell you why! BECAUSE THE INTERFACE IS AN UNWIELDY BASTARD THAT DOMINATES NEAR 50% OF THE SCREEN. AM In a Helicopter or something?

And another thing - sadarse attempts at bloody humour result in embarassment. Notably a fight at the Copper Coronet between an AmericanSitcomStereotypeOfLoudCrudeRudeWife and AmericanSitcomStereotyprOfQuietWeakHusband. The husband is thinking of running away with another woman and when we talk to his wife we are greeted by the latter stereotype shouting 'WHERE IS HE! I KNOW HE'S IN SOMEWHERE!' This game is a mish-mash of overdone and done-before and therefore bad material, and deserves the slap in the face it should have got both critically and commercially!

Baldur's Gate 2 sucks.
Baldur's Gate sucks less.

EDIT: WAIT I'M ON FIRE HERE!

About the creatures! Why does everything single seemingly unique creature that might seem creative come in pairs of 10 to the power of 23. Too many creatures to fight against in a combat-heavy game with a shit combat system.

FURTHER EDIT: WAIT I'M FLAMMABLE!

Why, do I invest six bloody stars in Long Sword if combat involves watching two bastards blindly flailing swords with the expertise of a poodle with a dagger tied in it's waggling tounge. Fights can go on for about 5 minutes, and you might only hit the object beside you 4 times. Sad. Pathetic. Laughable.

[ September 26, 2003: Message edited by: rad-x ]

--------------------

As I gaze up at the night sky in my own fair time, I look back down and see the devastation. This post-nuclear world. It's terrible. But at least we got Nuka-Cola, warm and flat, the drink of the post-apocalyptic civiliztion. Generation Next!

Posts: 466 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted September 26, 2003 02:29      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I've never actually played Baldurs Gate and don't want to. All I've heard about it from my friends is that it is a horrible game.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted September 27, 2003 07:25      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Baldur's Gate is good. The sequel is where the creator's got cocky in my view.

--------------------

As I gaze up at the night sky in my own fair time, I look back down and see the devastation. This post-nuclear world. It's terrible. But at least we got Nuka-Cola, warm and flat, the drink of the post-apocalyptic civiliztion. Generation Next!

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 27, 2003 22:38      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
*pours a bucket of cold water over rad*

Erm, yeah, I never paid much attention to the BG series. Actually, I don't know if there is anyone here who has. Oh well.

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted September 28, 2003 05:29      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can see I hate and like things for reasons though.

Unlike you Scotty! I couldn't resist!

--------------------

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted September 30, 2003 08:32      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
I never really got into BG...one of the reasons is the interface, it does look like freakin helicopter controls!!! (nice one Rad for brightening up my evening, your post cracked me up)

But I think the main point is this:

Fallout= Better...Class Dismissed.

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 30, 2003 10:12      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
heheheheheheh, why is it that whenever a member becomes part of the Proconsul they seem to become more sarcastic? [Tongue Job 1]

And I had my motives, but seeing how neither of us was going to budge even a little it was a pointless debate.

Pero ya que esto está sobre, debemos fumar para relájese żno? [Smoking]

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted October 01, 2003 00:07      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
But since this is on, we must smoke for relájese no? Hmmmm....Doesn't seem right! I got that off of the google.com translator. What does that saying really mean?

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted October 01, 2003 10:10      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Don't go with a literal translation, as it would not make sense. What it would roughly mean in English would be:

"But now that this is over, we should smoke in order to relax, right?" The google translator sux0rz.

Jim
Wandering Hero
Member # 128

Member Rated:

posted October 01, 2003 13:39      Profile for Jim   Email Jim   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191605699
hey another excellent game is also the GRAND THEFT AUTO III and GRAND THEFT AUTO:VICECITY

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Gauss:
Look whos talking,the least posting member of the community.

Posts: 243 | From: Greece | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Neo
Wanderer
Member # 124

Rate Member

posted October 06, 2003 01:33      Profile for Neo   Email Neo   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
my friend let me borrow gta 3 but it didnt work

--------------------

Neo

Posts: 68 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted October 06, 2003 10:31      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
You should make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. I found out that GTAIII is real touchy about that; I have a GeForce 4, and still had to update my drivers before I was able to play.

All times are Central Time
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community