my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » Other   » Stupid Stuff   » Slurry's Bitchin' New Box!

Printable Version
Author Topic: Slurry's Bitchin' New Box!
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 05:15      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Im getting a new PC on wednesday and im so excited I have to tell people who appreciate these things. I have been trying to use a 486 on windows 95 at my dads house and its finally gotten so slow that my ultra frugal father has agreed to go halves with me to get a new one. Its costing us $1350 oz dollars (remember $1 equals about 69-70 american cents)and I think that we got a really good deal.

Intel Celeron 2.4 gic CPU (yeah I know celeron pffft but the mainboard goes up to P4 3.something gig)
512meg DDR RAM
80gig 7200 HD, and the mb has serial ATA so itll load like a dream. *drools*
Onboard Soundblaster live 6 channel soundcard
GeForce 4 128 graphics card (and an 8X AGP slot so itll go higher later)
a 17 inch flat screen phillips monitor
Cordless mouse and keyboard
And an Altec Lansing Speaker system with a sub and two tweeters. i've heard them and they are really good quality.
O yeah and a 48 speed write/rewrite burner combo DVD drive.

The Mainboard and case quite upgradable too with 5 PCI slots, 4 RAM slots (thats DIMM slots right?) which hold up to 512 DDR RAM each. The case is a nice silver full tower number with heaps of spare room and extra drive and HD gaps.
And its got Windows XP and im borrowing the 2k office suite and lots of other software off my uncle who is a systems admin.

Ok sorry for subjecting you to that ranting but you have to understand how pleased i am after 5 years of only owning a 300mhz AMD K6-2 and a 486....it is going to make heaps of stuff possible for me that i couldnt even consider before!!

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: Slurrydevil ]

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jim
Wandering Hero
Member # 128

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 05:29      Profile for Jim   Email Jim   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191605699
Good choice slurry

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Gauss:
Look whos talking,the least posting member of the community.

Posts: 243 | From: Greece | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jim
Wandering Hero
Member # 128

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 05:31      Profile for Jim   Email Jim   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191605699
if you could add a Pentium 4 at 2.4Ghz instead of the celeron?

--------------------

quote:

CaliberOnzo
Wandering Hero
Member # 136

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 06:33      Profile for CaliberOnzo   Author's Homepage   Email CaliberOnzo   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 163194783   
Hey,

If I were you I would consider not taking a Flatscreen ever heard of True Color? Well Flatscreens don't have it they only have some sort of emulator that make it look like True Color but you can see the difference between them very well normal monitors are a lot better! Flatscreens only look good but they surely arent And about the Celeron you must have a mighty good reason to take a Celeron I myself have an AMD Athlon and it works mighty fine! And not expensive at all and about that Pentium Jim I think he doesn't need 2.4GHZ the games don't require that kind of shit! They barely need 1 GHZ And with the memory you're putting in it you would only need a 0.8 ghz but I think that would outdate rather fast. So I'd say just take a intel pentium 2.0 ghz or a AMD Athlon 2400+ it's the same as the pentium but less expensive AMD actually is made with technology of Intel but i'll keep that story for another time enough babbling

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Ratty:
You're now the official lazy-ass of the Order.

Posts: 313 | From: Netherlands, Woerden | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jim
Wandering Hero
Member # 128

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 06:44      Profile for Jim   Email Jim   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191605699
Yes but If he wants to play games with lots of graphics and high details he should buy a P4 with at least a GeForce4 Ti4200 don't you think?

--------------------

quote:

CaliberOnzo
Wandering Hero
Member # 136

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 07:09      Profile for CaliberOnzo   Author's Homepage   Email CaliberOnzo   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 163194783   
Hey,

Yea I just said that....

--------------------

quote:

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 08:22      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
Celeron SUX!!!!!!!

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jim
Wandering Hero
Member # 128

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 08:57      Profile for Jim   Email Jim   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191605699
I said that in order not to regret it if he buy that computer.Because Slurry it is my opinion if you use it only for games buy a P4 or else buy the one you mentioned above.I have personal experience

--------------------

quote:

CaliberOnzo
Wandering Hero
Member # 136

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 09:10      Profile for CaliberOnzo   Author's Homepage   Email CaliberOnzo   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 163194783   
Hey,

Yea I should've said Pentium 2.0 at least or AMD Athlon 2400+ at least. (i'd choose AMD but thats my choice )

--------------------

quote:

Jim
Wandering Hero
Member # 128

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 10:22      Profile for Jim   Email Jim   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 191605699
I don't like AMD much because the temperature of the CPU is too darn high!!!!! you need over 5 or 7 coolers

--------------------

quote:

Ratty
Wandering Champion
Member # 138

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 14:38      Profile for Ratty     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not a bad comp, Slurry. Celeron is not a good choice for gaming, though. Athlon is not bad for gamers, though us l33t hardcore computer fr33ks run from it like hell, because Pentium is like 20°degrees colder than Athlon, more stable, more durable, has more L2 cache, faster FSB and is generally technologically more advanced (well, Thoroughbred and Barton have kinda caught up with Northwood, so they are an excellent choice).

What kind of GeForce 4 does it have? If it's MX4x0 (where x is 2, 4 or 6), it'll be as slow as GeForce 2. If it's Ti4x00, it's great.

Don't forget that your hard drive must support serial ATA as well. You can tell the difference between IDE and SATA easily - the latter has a very thin and elegant cable... And you don't want to have that serial ATA port on your motherboard for nothing...

What speed is your DDR? Ideally it should be 400, 333 is great too, while 266 is pretty outdated.

And CaliberOnzo, what are you on about? Flatscreen can't display true color? Where have you heard that?

--------------------

Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors.
But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2003 18:16      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
heheheheheh, congratulations Slurry! You done real good.

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 03, 2003 04:25      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Ok basically the CPU thing was more a matter of cost. Its ok because I made damn sure that the mainboard takes a Pentium 4, so if i get sick of the Celeron ill probably get a new one.
And I know its a serial ATA HD because i knew the standards needed to match when i was looking so i checked. And as for DDR im not sure, i suspect its 333.
The graphics card is a Geforce 4 Ti4200 i think, and the good thing is that it doesnt even take up the AGP slot so i can still add onto it later, its basically a really adaptable computer.
Im inclined to agree about AMD processors, but once again it was mainly a matter of what sort of mb i wanted vs what sort of cpu it took. The most suitable one was an intel board so thats what we got.
The monitor is actually really good, i saw it in action in the shop so I know what it looked like. We were gonna get an LCD monitor but we decided we didnt need all that dead pixels/lower life span/ more expensive crap. It actually plays DVD's better looking than my TV

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted November 04, 2003 22:13      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Flatscreens are awesome. I have a new flatscreen tv in my living room and a new 21" flatscreen computer screen! WOOHOO! Kicks ass, and the graphics are better than a normal monitor.

Another thing, who said that he was just going to use the computer for games? I never heard him mention that once. All he said is that he'll be able to play Tactics more unbiased on the new computer.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
CaliberOnzo
Wandering Hero
Member # 136

Member Rated:

posted November 05, 2003 08:16      Profile for CaliberOnzo   Author's Homepage   Email CaliberOnzo   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 163194783   
I've got another nice thing: "You think I know." Try and find one with true color then i'll believe you...

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: CaliberOnzo ]

--------------------

quote:

Ratty
Wandering Champion
Member # 138

Member Rated:

posted November 05, 2003 15:43      Profile for Ratty     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*is looking at one right now...*

--------------------

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted November 05, 2003 23:37      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
You want to come to my house or would you like me to bring my tv or monitor to your house?

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: Stapes ]

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 06, 2003 05:29      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
lol, i am gonna use it to play games, but it will also be used for business, digital photography, my university work in a couple of months and other stuff I havent figured out yet lol

[ November 06, 2003: Message edited by: Slurrydevil ]

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Ratty
Wandering Champion
Member # 138

Member Rated:

posted November 07, 2003 07:05      Profile for Ratty     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stapes, I have an idea. You bring you TV and monitor to my house, then leave and never come back.

--------------------

CaliberOnzo
Wandering Hero
Member # 136

Member Rated:

posted November 08, 2003 07:18      Profile for CaliberOnzo   Author's Homepage   Email CaliberOnzo   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 163194783   
Hey,

Maybe it seems to you that it's truecolor but it ain't! Give me a flatscreen specs and it'll say e-color or something similair that's the "Software" version of true color!

--------------------

quote:

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted November 08, 2003 11:07      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
No, it said it right on the box that it came in. It said: True Color and some other stuff, I kinda threw the box and the specs and shit away (burned them in a bon fire). I don't need them, so why would I need to keep them?

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 10, 2003 07:09      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Yeah, im sorry Stapes is correct, I looked especially and it definately says true colour in the control panel display section.

On the note of my computer, i ws using it over the weekend and i would just like to say I LOVE IT!! Its got a really nice multimedia cordeless keyboard that makes it way easier to use and i defiately dig windows XP (i've only ever had 95 and 98)
I installed Tactics and it runs great (lol well usual bugs notwithstanding ). I do enjoy playing it but it reminded me that despite any merits it has its not really Fallout in my opinion.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Ratty
Wandering Champion
Member # 138

Member Rated:

posted November 10, 2003 09:46      Profile for Ratty     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First game you played on your ultra-powerful rig was Tactics? *sigh * Oh, man...

--------------------

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 11, 2003 06:04      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Yeah i know its pathetic isnt it? Na but seriously it sthe only game i own that didnt work right on my old computer. Im gonna go buy/ burn myself some better stuff in time.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

All times are Central Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community