my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » Other   » Forum Issues   » Prep for when StGFC gets big...

Printable Version
Author Topic: Prep for when StGFC gets big...
Heero Yuy
Vault Champion
Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2002 19:09      Profile for Heero Yuy   Email Heero Yuy   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As more and more people come we will have to change afew things. Avatars, I was thinking more on the lines of 64 x 64 rather than the huge ones we have. This will reduce download time.

[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: Heero Yuy ]

--------------------

"I'll give you just one piece of advice... Dying hurts like hell." - Heero Yuy

Posts: 937 | From: Classified | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 02, 2002 21:13      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
I'll add that to the list of things I should do with the site in the immediate future. So now the list has:

1) Get new layout up and running.
2) Get Tactics walkthrough done.
3) Change Avatar size.

Sure, just when I cross off 'Fix Who's Online problem' from the list, something else takes it's spot instantly.

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted November 03, 2002 08:06      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I think that is a good idea with the avatars, but you said that it would reduce the download time, that is only true on certain things. It wouldn't take long for me cuz I have a cable modem, and it probably wouldn't take long for Scotty cuz he has satellite. I think that the only people that would have problems are people with the dial-up. I don't know too many people who have dial-up anymore.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 03, 2002 14:35      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, but we have to keep everyone that visits the site in mind, including those (few) on dialup. We don't want to forget any of our visitors (except for the few unfortanate ones that are using Netscape).

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 03, 2002 19:34      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
These Avatars don't take any time at all even one dialup, I do have a good dialup modem but its still not really a problem.
And yeah we have to consider the netscape users.......as well as pitying them

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 04, 2002 04:06      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
I'll download Netscape Communicator 7.0, which I believe is the latest version and make sure that everything shows up okay on that before I completely change the site layout.

Plus, for avatars, I don't think it would work to change them all to 64x64. This would cause some avatars to become unproportional. For instance, changing a 124x100 image to a 64x64, it might not look that pretty.

Also, as long as we're talking about load time, should we start enforcing the limit on signatures? I've been letting that one slide so far, seeing how Ace seems to be the only one using images in his signature, and no one else is using excessive text.

jello
Wandering Hero
Member # 77

Rate Member

posted November 04, 2002 09:45      Profile for jello   Email jello   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yo, respect the dial-up stapes. I used to be on dialup like 4-5 months ago....I still get bad dreams about it...

--------------------

jump on her and demand sex!

Posts: 399 | From: montreal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted November 04, 2002 12:33      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Why should I respect dial-up. I've had too many bad experiences with dial-up. I had to go a month without the internet because the company that we were being serviced by had 1 computer that crashed. That computer was the one that my computer dialed into. They didn't get the fucking computer to work until a month later, and they charged me for that month of downtime.

If you have bad dreams of dial-up, then why do you still respect it?

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 04, 2002 13:04      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Well, maybe not respect dial-up, but keep it in consideration. We can't forget about any of our visitors.

I've been on satellite for a few months now. It is sweet, and my thoughts of dial-up have almost completely left me.

jello
Wandering Hero
Member # 77

Rate Member

posted November 05, 2002 21:27      Profile for jello   Email jello   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well I mean, respect the ppl with dial-up; they are heroes.

--------------------

jump on her and demand sex!

Posts: 399 | From: montreal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 06, 2002 02:43      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Well I still have dialup and here's why. T
The phone company in Australia Telstra is an evil empire with a monopoly. Its corrupt, incompetent and it frankly doesnt give a shit about ungrading the phone exchanges for ADSL, or basically really......really........slowly........like when the old ones wear out. I would be jumping to get it cos it would be heaps cheaper for me but our exchange isnt ADSLalised.

But im not to fussed, my modem is new, my ISP is reliable and the only regret I have is that I wanna be able to download warez and music videos.

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: Slurrydevil ]

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Heero Yuy
Vault Champion
Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted November 09, 2002 00:26      Profile for Heero Yuy   Email Heero Yuy   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stay on the topic...

--------------------

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted November 09, 2002 05:04      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
We are on topic though. We were talking about download time on the page and the only people that would have slower dl time are people on dial-up.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 09, 2002 09:10      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yup, and then we casually went to some nostalgic thoughts about dialup (at least I did) and Slurry commented as to why he is stuck with it.

It's close enough to satisfy me. It's like in a conversation: you don't stay on one topic, but casually go from one main topic to other subtopics. At least, that's what I do.......

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted November 09, 2002 18:11      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I tend to go onto subtopics also.

Heero Yuy
Vault Champion
Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted November 09, 2002 20:46      Profile for Heero Yuy   Email Heero Yuy   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am not saying it is fully off the topic but I was hoping this topic would bring out ideas and improvements for the forums rather than dial-ups...

--------------------

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 10, 2002 12:48      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
heheheheheheh, good point there Ace.

Well, there is always what I mentioned before: changing all avatars to 64x64 will cause some of them to be unproportional and look bad.

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 11, 2002 03:56      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Yeah, I say we leave it, they look good the way they are in my opinion, and they don't seem to take long loading.
lol Yeah I know Ace, but who can resist an opportunity to bag out Telstra?

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Heero Yuy
Vault Champion
Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted November 11, 2002 23:42      Profile for Heero Yuy   Email Heero Yuy   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
True... Telstra is a load of shit!

--------------------

All times are Central Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community