my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Fallout 3   » The dream lives on!

Printable Version
Author Topic: The dream lives on!
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted January 11, 2003 10:12      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
For those of you that don't already know this, here is some more F3 speculation from Fergus Urquhart (courtesy of NMA):

Fergie Speaketh
News Source: Bis Forums

Some guy calling himself Capelworth posted a looong post about Interplay/Bis and their troubles over the recent 18 months and after a hefty debate Fergus Urquhart decided to step in and speak his mind. Here's what Fergie said:
I've gone through most of this post, and I'm not really sure where to start commenting. The rise and fall of Interplay (and therefore BIS) has been a very long ride. I'm not saying it is over though, and I hope we can rise again.

What I can do is talk about my plans for BIS. I want to finish Jefferson in such a way that everyone on the team is happy with it. I put the producer on Icewind Dale 2 (IWD2) in a tough decision and an even harder position on the project he is currently working on because I took very few resources from Jefferson to help him out. At one point he was down to two programmers on IWD2, while there were nine working on Jefferson. This was not meant to have IWD2 be a sub-standard project, but to give the team the shot to make Jefferson a truly next generation game.

I also want to get Fallout 3 going. Another reason for our focus on Jefferson. We need internal technology to make our games and we've had to put as much focus into that as possible.

Next I want to move the type of games that we make forward. The type of games that we have been making is getting stale. I just finished Age of Mythology and it was a great game. But, I really feel like I've played that same game ten times before. This is where I am torn somewhat though- I appreciated the solid mission design from mission 1 to mission 32 (I think that was the last one), but I was playing a game that I am completely familiar with. Build peons, gather resources, build an army, and invade the bad guys base. For our games, I think people have started feeling the same way particularly because of our probably over-use of the Infinity Engine. I think solid story and quest design can keep them interesting, but not enough without some other changes. Changes that are consistent with the types of games we make - not some other genre. But that is the Catch 22 - if they are consistent with our older games, will they just feel like our older games.

I and the rest of Black Isle have a lot of things in our way to make those things happen. As usual the financial state of Interplay has put a lot of restrictions on us even though we are only somewhat responsible for the state that the company is in. Examples of these things include:

1) We have only lately been able to start upgrading people from computers that were bought two years ago. And I think Dave Maldonado is still on a P3-500 which hasn't impacted him much yet - but many others in Black Isle were impacted by upgrades taking nine months to a year longer than they should have. The upgrades have not been completed and this is the stumbling block.

2) Marketing and PR being handled by our distributor instead of in-house has added a middle man which we are still trying to deal with. Many of the snafus like poor advertising and in store promotions on IWD2 were because of this coordination. I am not blaming IPLY or Vivendi in this - but more the coordination between them. This has to be fixed for us to become successful.

3) The last is that people need to be able to come into Black Isle every morning and not have to worry about their next pay check or that if what they are going to do that day is going to be compromised by IPLY. In a new age way, the people in Black Isle also have to believe that there is a future and they the problems they are going to have to deal with on a daily basis are those having to do with the games they are making and not the soul draining crap that has been going on with IPLY the last 18 months.

As of writing this, I don't have any solutions for any of those things. I'm working on them, but unless they get resolved doing what I think is best for the division and the games is going to be hard. I know that doesn't answer all the IPLY solvency and wacky Titus questions, but they are the things I have been thinking about lately.

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
BALLISTIK00
Outsider
Member # 102

posted January 31, 2003 18:00      Profile for BALLISTIK00   Email BALLISTIK00   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty the Great:
For those of you that don't already know this, here is some more F3 speculation from Fergus Urquhart (courtesy of NMA):

Fergie Speaketh
News Source: Bis Forums

Some guy calling himself Capelworth posted a looong post about Interplay/Bis and their troubles over the recent 18 months and after a hefty debate Fergus Urquhart decided to step in and speak his mind. Here's what Fergie said:
I've gone through most of this post, and I'm not really sure where to start commenting. The rise and fall of Interplay (and therefore BIS) has been a very long ride. I'm not saying it is over though, and I hope we can rise again.

What I can do is talk about my plans for BIS. I want to finish Jefferson in such a way that everyone on the team is happy with it. I put the producer on Icewind Dale 2 (IWD2) in a tough decision and an even harder position on the project he is currently working on because I took very few resources from Jefferson to help him out. At one point he was down to two programmers on IWD2, while there were nine working on Jefferson. This was not meant to have IWD2 be a sub-standard project, but to give the team the shot to make Jefferson a truly next generation game.

I also want to get Fallout 3 going. Another reason for our focus on Jefferson. We need internal technology to make our games and we've had to put as much focus into that as possible.

Next I want to move the type of games that we make forward. The type of games that we have been making is getting stale. I just finished Age of Mythology and it was a great game. But, I really feel like I've played that same game ten times before. This is where I am torn somewhat though- I appreciated the solid mission design from mission 1 to mission 32 (I think that was the last one), but I was playing a game that I am completely familiar with. Build peons, gather resources, build an army, and invade the bad guys base. For our games, I think people have started feeling the same way particularly because of our probably over-use of the Infinity Engine. I think solid story and quest design can keep them interesting, but not enough without some other changes. Changes that are consistent with the types of games we make - not some other genre. But that is the Catch 22 - if they are consistent with our older games, will they just feel like our older games.

I and the rest of Black Isle have a lot of things in our way to make those things happen. As usual the financial state of Interplay has put a lot of restrictions on us even though we are only somewhat responsible for the state that the company is in. Examples of these things include:

1) We have only lately been able to start upgrading people from computers that were bought two years ago. And I think Dave Maldonado is still on a P3-500 which hasn't impacted him much yet - but many others in Black Isle were impacted by upgrades taking nine months to a year longer than they should have. The upgrades have not been completed and this is the stumbling block.

2) Marketing and PR being handled by our distributor instead of in-house has added a middle man which we are still trying to deal with. Many of the snafus like poor advertising and in store promotions on IWD2 were because of this coordination. I am not blaming IPLY or Vivendi in this - but more the coordination between them. This has to be fixed for us to become successful.

3) The last is that people need to be able to come into Black Isle every morning and not have to worry about their next pay check or that if what they are going to do that day is going to be compromised by IPLY. In a new age way, the people in Black Isle also have to believe that there is a future and they the problems they are going to have to deal with on a daily basis are those having to do with the games they are making and not the soul draining crap that has been going on with IPLY the last 18 months.

As of writing this, I don't have any solutions for any of those things. I'm working on them, but unless they get resolved doing what I think is best for the division and the games is going to be hard. I know that doesn't answer all the IPLY solvency and wacky Titus questions, but they are the things I have been thinking about lately.

[LIST]WELL GUYS LETS BE ERAL HERE U THINK THERE WILL EVER BE A FALLOUT THREE CZ IM A FALLOUT FAN MY SELF AND IM LOOKING FOWARD TO SEEING A FALLOUT THREE

Posts: 2 | From: LOS ANGELES | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Knight_Wolf
Wandering Champion
Member # 92

Member Rated:

posted January 31, 2003 18:06      Profile for Knight_Wolf   Author's Homepage   Email Knight_Wolf   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 1477479369   
Hey whats up with that dude ya didnt have to do that we all saw the first one your just wasting space...

--------------------

If a man in a purple robe was crossing a bridge but snaps as he falls to his death and nobody is there to hear does he make a noise?

Posts: 179 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted January 31, 2003 18:10      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
lol, lighten up Wolfy, he is a new guy

To say the least, if Interplay can start turning a profit again, there will most likely be a Fallout 3. Otherwise, the company will go down and probably take any hopes of F3 with it.

Knight_Wolf
Wandering Champion
Member # 92

Member Rated:

posted February 01, 2003 22:46      Profile for Knight_Wolf   Author's Homepage   Email Knight_Wolf   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 1477479369   
I was just sayen anyway I thought he did it a few times because thats what I saw but I guess not maybe just my computer i guess.

And I do hope there is a fallout three and i hope its real tight to!

--------------------

If a man in a purple robe was crossing a bridge but snaps as he falls to his death and nobody is there to hear does he make a noise?

jello
Wandering Hero
Member # 77

Rate Member

posted February 02, 2003 22:34      Profile for jello   Email jello   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
he also did all his message with caps and did outrageous spelling mistakes. Seems like an asshole to me...

--------------------

jump on her and demand sex!

Posts: 399 | From: montreal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 03, 2003 06:52      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Come on guys, lighten up. If we let 'em stick around, I'm sure we could use a large hammer to mold him into an upstanding citizen of the Community.

Knight_Wolf
Wandering Champion
Member # 92

Member Rated:

posted February 03, 2003 18:14      Profile for Knight_Wolf   Author's Homepage   Email Knight_Wolf   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 1477479369   
O come on Be real guys a big hammer!?!..........
We would need more than that lol

--------------------

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted February 03, 2003 22:30      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Just shut up and welcom the new guy. There is no need for you to keep dissing him like that.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 03, 2003 22:43      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, Stapes is right. I hope he knows that we were just messin' with him. Anyways, welcome to the Community, BALLISTIK00!

Also, on a different note, check your private messages, Wolfy.

jello
Wandering Hero
Member # 77

Rate Member

posted February 04, 2003 09:13      Profile for jello   Email jello   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know man, seems to me everybody in the online community is going wayyy down in respects of himself and his nature, and human nature...

It's all because of slim shady I tell ya!

--------------------

jump on her and demand sex!

Posts: 399 | From: montreal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted February 04, 2003 16:08      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
*steps up behind a podium and taps the microphone* Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?

*watches in awe as everyone stands*

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted February 04, 2003 18:03      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
*dyes his hair and then stands up with a white t-shirt on* I REPEAT, WILL THE REAL SLIM SHADY PLEASE STAND UP!

Uh oh, Looks like we're going to have a problem here.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Central Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community