my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » ARG!

Printable Version
Author Topic: ARG!
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 17, 2002 14:02      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Just when I get pretty far on putting the new site layout on all of the pages, just when the end was in site, what happens? My Zip drive dies! To make it worse, it crashed while the disk with all of the updated files was in it. So now I have no Zip drive, no way of working on my site, and no way of knowing whether or not my disk still works. (I managed to rip the disk from the drive after about an hour.)

So, in other words, it will take a while before the new layout is implemented. Tomorrow I'm going to look for a new Zip drive. If I can't find one, I'll have to have one ordered, which could take a while. Plus, if my disk doesn't work, then I have to download the current files from the site and...........START OVER!!!!

ARG!

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heero Yuy
Vault Champion
Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted November 17, 2002 15:19      Profile for Heero Yuy   Email Heero Yuy   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ARG!

--------------------

"I'll give you just one piece of advice... Dying hurts like hell." - Heero Yuy

Posts: 937 | From: Classified | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted November 17, 2002 17:12      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Oy!

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heero Yuy
Vault Champion
Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted November 17, 2002 21:58      Profile for Heero Yuy   Email Heero Yuy   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ARG! OY!

--------------------

jello
Wandering Hero
Member # 77

Rate Member

posted November 18, 2002 03:04      Profile for jello   Email jello   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
oh bummer... But why do you use zip?

--------------------

jump on her and demand sex!

Posts: 399 | From: montreal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 18, 2002 03:11      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Yeah bummer man, I know how annoying it is when stuff like that happens. The worst data loss I ever had was when my memory card broke with about 400 hours worth of really hard work on it.

Zips are pretty good for web sites if u think about it. It would suck putting it on a CD because you would have to keep re writing it every time you updated the site, which would take ages. With zips its just click, drag, thankyou m'am. And they are big enough to hold a shitload of pics and html docs.

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 18, 2002 04:13      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, which is precisely why I like them so much.

Also, before that I was keeping the files on my hard drive. Then what happened? Right after I finished the Fallout 2 FAQ, the thing crashes. Countless hours to make, a few seconds to destroy. So from there I moved to using Zips, and this happens, again right when I'm nearing the end of a time-consuming update.

jello
Wandering Hero
Member # 77

Rate Member

posted November 18, 2002 06:24      Profile for jello   Email jello   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hey, how about a I-don't-know-what-it's-called-but-let's-call-it-"active-drive-CD-RW"?

Like, it's a Roxio Easy-CD creator function. It takes a CD-RW, formats it for the task(takes about 100mgs of formatting), and it works just like a Diskette drive or a HD.

I use that and it works fine. Pretty fast too.

--------------------

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 18, 2002 13:41      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
I've heard about them before, but never looked into it. I think my new computer might have that, but I'm not really sure.

jello
Wandering Hero
Member # 77

Rate Member

posted November 18, 2002 13:50      Profile for jello   Email jello   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
oh, what i'm talking about is only on the software level. All you need is a CD-R drive, and Easy-CD Creator. It easily explains the process n all...

--------------------

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 18, 2002 14:36      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
I have that! I really gotta look into it now.

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 18, 2002 17:28      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Im gonna get me one of those new removable USB drives, they are so cool. For about 60 bucks (30 american) you get a 32 meg little thing that sticks into a usb port and acts as a disc, or you can get 64 megs for 80 bucks (40)
They have a little flange on them just like a pen so you can hook them onto a pocket or a hole so u can wear them around your neck, they dont break easy like diskettes and you can pretty much step on the apparently without doing em damage.

So anyone who has a USB port you can just whack it in and there it is, kinda makes diskettes obsolete hey?

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 18, 2002 20:04      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
I've seen those before, they are pretty neat. However, they're not for me. I have two USB drives on both of my computers. However, on one of them both are used up (one for my satellite modem, the other for game controler). So if I wanted to take files from one computer to another, I would run into problems. Unless you wanna get real technical, I'm sure there would be a way to leave the device hooked up to the other computer and transfer the files over the network, but I don't feel like doing that.

Plus, for disks, Zips are better than floppys. So far, of all the original zip disks I bought, all of them are in perfect condition (except maybe the one that was in the drive when it crashed). However, I never tried stepping on one of them, so I don't know how it would hold up in that aspect.

Plus, to update you guys, today I placed an order for a new Zip drive. Hopefully it'll be in by the end of the week, but I don't know for sure. As for the condition of my disk, I don't know what to say. I don't know anyone else that has a 250MB Zip drive around here, so I can't test it out on another computer. So I'm stuck with not knowing, and don't want to start over with updating all of the pages on my site just to find out the disk works once my drive comes in. That leaves me with just waiting impatiently.....

Heero Yuy
Vault Champion
Member # 8

Member Rated:

posted November 19, 2002 02:30      Profile for Heero Yuy   Email Heero Yuy   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ARG!

--------------------

All times are Central Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community