my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » Does Fallouts storyline seem "too real?" (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Does Fallouts storyline seem "too real?"
The_Lonely_Phox
Wanderer
Member # 147

Rate Member

posted November 07, 2003 23:21      Profile for The_Lonely_Phox   Email The_Lonely_Phox   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From what ive seen in the fallout game storylines and current events, dosent it kinda make sense that this MAY happen? or am i losing my mind?.....lots of facts can be related and even proven like the estimated KNOWN oil resurves is suggested to only last 25-40 years, what then? coal powered cars? (coal resurves estimated at 400-550 years) i dunno but its kinda freaky if u sit and think it through, still a Bad-arse game =)

[ November 07, 2003: Message edited by: The_Lonely_Phox ]

--------------------

"Death is the passage of life into the next"-unknown
"a noob is just an unexperianced veteran"-me to raz 2004

Posts: 84 | From: Cincinnati OH, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted November 08, 2003 03:40      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Coal reserves are estimated at their rate of use NOW, not the rate we will need in the future.

To be honest, I have enough hope in our own human ingenuity that we will not run around killing each other.

EDIT: Excuse me? Bad Arse Game? Fallout?

[ November 08, 2003: Message edited by: rad-x ]

--------------------

As I gaze up at the night sky in my own fair time, I look back down and see the devastation. This post-nuclear world. It's terrible. But at least we got Nuka-Cola, warm and flat, the drink of the post-apocalyptic civiliztion. Generation Next!

Posts: 466 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ratty
Wandering Champion
Member # 138

Member Rated:

posted November 08, 2003 06:43      Profile for Ratty     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No - nuclear powered cars. Power of nuclear fission and fusion are ONLY alternative to fossil fuels. As far as we know, we have enough radioactive fuel on Earth to last thousands of years, so all we need is find a way to utilize this fuel efficiently and safely.

--------------------

Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors.
But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.

CaliberOnzo
Wandering Hero
Member # 136

Member Rated:

posted November 08, 2003 11:35      Profile for CaliberOnzo   Author's Homepage   Email CaliberOnzo   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 163194783   
Hey,

I think he means good game by bad arse game...

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Ratty:
You're now the official lazy-ass of the Order.

Posts: 313 | From: Netherlands, Woerden | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted November 08, 2003 12:11      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
Yeah.that what it means dudes!

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted November 08, 2003 15:57      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, that's bad-ass game. Arse is derogatory. [Cool]

--------------------

As I gaze up at the night sky in my own fair time, I look back down and see the devastation. This post-nuclear world. It's terrible. But at least we got Nuka-Cola, warm and flat, the drink of the post-apocalyptic civiliztion. Generation Next!

The_Lonely_Phox
Wanderer
Member # 147

Rate Member

posted November 08, 2003 19:57      Profile for The_Lonely_Phox   Email The_Lonely_Phox   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
arse is the elven word for (dont take this aganist me) ass......so im saying its still a badass game....

--------------------

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 08, 2003 22:39      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Well, basically Fallout is so good to me because it might happen, its so realistic. You can imagine the future being like that. Its a pretty old genre though, post apocalyptic. The Mad Max movies were the first big post apocalyptic movies and they are about 25 years old.

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
CaliberOnzo
Wandering Hero
Member # 136

Member Rated:

posted November 09, 2003 04:20      Profile for CaliberOnzo   Author's Homepage   Email CaliberOnzo   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 163194783   
Hey,

Still I would say good game bad-arse game is just too much to typ.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Ratty:
You're now the official lazy-ass of the Order.

Posts: 313 | From: Netherlands, Woerden | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 09, 2003 06:41      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
lol, well you could easily say that Fallout is so good because its so bad-ass

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted November 09, 2003 07:07      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
ok point made, go on [Cool]

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The_Lonely_Phox
Wanderer
Member # 147

Rate Member

posted November 09, 2003 14:49      Profile for The_Lonely_Phox   Email The_Lonely_Phox   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i would have to agree with ratty, i never thought of that BUT the EPA would prob stop that, what whould happen if a car crashed and the power leaked....=) stuff like that, ive heard of hydrogen and coal powered car tests.....

--------------------

Ratty
Wandering Champion
Member # 138

Member Rated:

posted November 10, 2003 07:19      Profile for Ratty     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hydrogen is okay for powering cars, but it doesn't have sufficient energy density to be used to power our entire civilization. Nuclear power is the way to go, and believe it or not, it is a lot safer than fossil fuel power. Did you know that 3 MILLION PEOPLE die every year because of direct and indirect consequences of coal and oil power plants working around the world? On the other hand, number of people that die because of nuclear power plants is negligible. What's more, thermal power plants release a LOT more radiation than nuclear power plants, because they release huge amounts of ash (and ash is poisonous and radioactive)!

--------------------

The_Lonely_Phox
Wanderer
Member # 147

Rate Member

posted November 10, 2003 21:29      Profile for The_Lonely_Phox   Email The_Lonely_Phox   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ratty, yea i checked you info all is true but i couldnt find that 3 milion death related thing anywhere ill just take your word sounds factable. but, hydrogen powered cars are closer to mass producion (or solur) i even found some funny tests on wind designed cars lol they freaky looking and very tiny, no wind= skrewed lol thats for info.
INT went up one point =p

--------------------

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 11, 2003 05:42      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Ok Ratty yeah sure you can't use Hydro power for everythin but thats where alternative energy sources come in. Eg Solar/ Wind/ Geothermal etc. And they are working on new systems like these massive skyscraper sized towers with a greenhouse around the base. The hot air generated in the greenhouse rises up the tower and turns hundreds of turbines, generating a massive amount of energy. And it keeps going all night unlike solar power.

Nuclear power is probably the most efficient source of energy, but its not viable alternative in my opinion because A: We cant properly dispose of the byproducts and B: If something goes wrong (eg Chernobyl) the results are disasterous compared to any other power source.
What u said though reminds me of the whole 'nuclear energy, the power source of the future' thing in the 50's.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 11, 2003 05:48      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
lol, i wouldnt exactly call what happened in Chernobyl negligible! Thousands of people were killed, more died over the years. Children are born deformed regularly and a massive area around the plant, including a whole city is uninhabitable. And even kilometres away they have to wash the streets twice a day every day to stop radioactive dust settling on everything. And people are still contracting leukemia, lung, brain and lymphatic cancers for no obvious reason apart from radioactive residue.
Ok im not saying coal power is better, it isnt, but Nuclear power is only effective if safetly protocol is obsessively observed. And if there were nuclear plants everywhere (more so than now) some of them would be poorly run and old, as chernobyl plant was. And it was only a SMALL plant.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Ratty
Wandering Champion
Member # 138

Member Rated:

posted November 11, 2003 08:31      Profile for Ratty     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eh, Chernobyl incident happened because of outdated technology, inadequate safety protocols and human error. Notice that an accident of such proportions never happened in highly developed western countries.

Unfortunately, alternative power sources (solar, geothermal, hydro etc.) are useless. You see, most important aspect of every form of energy is its density. Hydroenergy has an extremely low density because it results from gravitational force, the weakest force in the universe. Solar energy also has low density, because most of the solar radiation that reaches Earth gets absorbed in the atmosphere or dissipated and turned into anergy (energy which can't be utilized) once it hits the environment. Geothermal energy can't be utilized because in order to drill close enough to Earth's core to absorb it, you would have to spend more energy than you would gain.

Energy of nuclear fission, on the other hand, results from electromagnetic force, second strongest force in the universe. Nuclear energy is by far the densest type of energy known to humanity. For example, if you burn 1 kg of wood, you get 1 kWh of useable energy. By burning 1 kg of coal, you get 3 kWh of energy. Combusting 1 kg of oil will produce 4 kWh of energy. Now get this: a fission of 1 kg of plutonium produces 6 MILLION kWh of energy! And bear in mind that even energy you get from coal or oil is far more dense than energy you can gain from any of the "alternative" power sources!

Because it takes so little radioactive fuel to produce huge quantities of energy, it's obvious that amount of hazardous waste produced by nuclear power plants is almost negligible when compared to waste produced by thermal power plants, and ecological damage caused by a nuclear plant is far lesser than damage caused by hydroplants (which destroy entire ecosystems by obstructing the river flow and creating accumulative lakes). Disposal of such waste shouldn't be a problem, it can always be dumped in isolated compounds or in the ocean (ocean can absorb huge levels of radiation) or launched into space.

--------------------

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 12, 2003 04:27      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Yes yes but bear in mind that the western nations are a minority. If proliferation opf nuclear power plants occured there would be thousands of poorly run, outdated and dangerous plants, increasing the risk enormously.

You are right about the power benefits of nuclear energy, thats why everybody was so excited about this great new source of energy in the 50's. But after a few accidents, people got complacent so most countries largely fell back on traditional sources such as coal and gas.

But the other thing you gotta remember is that alternative power sources like solar can be set up so that each individual house generates its own power, unlike any other source. It may be inefficient for generating enough power for a grid but it is great used supplementally and on a small scale.
The biggest problem at the moment is probably cars however. At the moment very few people in populous nations such as China and India own cars, but as their standard of living and prosperity increases, they will all start buying more cars and suddenly there will be so many gasoline vehicles releasing carbon dioxide and many other goodies into the atmosphere we will be faced with chaos. Thats why hydrogen powered cars are so important.

Nuclear power may be a good source of energy but uranium is no more renewable than coal or gas and there is much less of it. In the end we would still use it up, the best we would do is buy ourselves a couple of hundred years. To solve our pollution problems permanantly we need something efficient, powerful and renewable. At the moment there aren't really any alternative sources up to the job, but one day there will be.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

The_Lonely_Phox
Wanderer
Member # 147

Rate Member

posted November 12, 2003 09:27      Profile for The_Lonely_Phox   Email The_Lonely_Phox   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
and you always have them super genuis terroists that can convert the cars into mini-nukes =p....scary, coal or hydrogen is much safer

--------------------

Ratty
Wandering Champion
Member # 138

Member Rated:

posted November 13, 2003 12:47      Profile for Ratty     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Errr, no. You see, 97.3% of uranium in the nature is U-238 and the rest is U-235, because throughout Earth's geological history U-235 constantly decayed into U-238. Only U-235 is active enough to fuel a nuclear chain reaction and release energy in the process. However, during the nuclear fission of U-235, U-238 turns into plutonium Pu-239, and plutonium has even better energetic properties than U-235! Obviously, amount of fuel for fission processes is virtually unlimited, and this is assuming we never utilize fusion reactions. Truth is, once we discover a way to control the process of nuclear fusion, humanity will never have to worry about energy again.

Your are right about hydrogen-powered cars, though. I hate the idea of my car blowing up and releasing radiation in open road. "Can I borrow your car, dad? Mine had a nuclear meltdown."

--------------------

Danoth Dragon God
Wandering Hero
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted November 13, 2003 13:24      Profile for Danoth Dragon God   Email Danoth Dragon God   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    
JESUS CHRISTE!!! YOU PEOPLE WRITE A LOT!!! I truth there are many things that are alternative to nuclear, oil and coal powers, such as hydro electric, which will never run out, Solar, which unless we really screw up the atmosphere will never run out, Geo thermal which will not run out for hundreds of years. Also, Fallouts main appeal is the possability for it to happen. In fact, ever since playing Fallout i have been assembeling a group to survive post nuclear wars. We will thrive in the wastelands!!!! For more info on this email me!

--------------------

HAHAHAHA! Your lord of chaos has come, feel my wrath and tremble!!! For the Earth will burn with a fiery light and be purifyed and the corruption of the light will be cleansed with darkness

Posts: 259 | From: Windsor, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 14, 2003 22:22      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Well what we really need is cold fusion, but i dunno if that is realistic lol

If there is ever an apocalypse im going to take you up on that ;P (btw welcome to the community Danoth

--------------------

- Nietzsche

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 16, 2003 12:08      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
lol, I have my own plan. If it happens while I'm at college, I don't have to worry; the basement of my complex is fortified to be a Fallout shelter.

But on the topic of energy sources, I heard of a group of people a few years back who have been trying to use lightening as an energy source. Think about it: a single bolt of lightening contains an absolute shitload of energy, and now there is more lightening than there used to be. So harvesting this power would be quite beneficial, though right now it is impossible to do.

And the thought of the Fallout story line coming to life has never been far off in my mind. I have always felt I will live to see the 'end of the world,' and strangly this has always comforted me. So 50 years from now if I'm wrong, should I be glad or disappointed?

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Danoth Dragon God
Wandering Hero
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted November 17, 2003 11:59      Profile for Danoth Dragon God   Email Danoth Dragon God   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    
Thanks for the welcome slurry
I for one have felt that the end of the civilized world would occur during my lifetime.... but that was because I thought I would probably cause it... Don't tell the CIA I said that...
The sheer power of lightning is great, but unless we find an energy efficent way to create it where we want, I don't think we can harness it as a main energy source... plus its a very unpredictable form of electricity... and lightning actually meets halfway in the sky because negative energy comes from the ground and positive from the sky. Cold fusion will not be an accessable powersource for another 50 years at least... Yeah makes life difficult... And scott, be disappointed

[ November 17, 2003: Message edited by: Danoth Dragon God ]

--------------------

HAHAHAHA! Your lord of chaos has come, feel my wrath and tremble!!! For the Earth will burn with a fiery light and be purifyed and the corruption of the light will be cleansed with darkness

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 17, 2003 14:57      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Ye-up, I think that was the major problem they were having with lightening. That and whenever they did get a bolt to strick where they wanted, it would blow the shit out of their equipment.

And I'll be disappointed then.

Danoth Dragon God
Wandering Hero
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted November 18, 2003 14:16      Profile for Danoth Dragon God   Email Danoth Dragon God   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    
Yeah, like you said, The energy was to great for us to currently harness without blowing up all the equipment

--------------------

The_Lonely_Phox
Wanderer
Member # 147

Rate Member

posted November 19, 2003 10:02      Profile for The_Lonely_Phox   Email The_Lonely_Phox   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
mostly, i still think a form of hydogen or coal power is the most likily idea of energy, btw, is this topic still going? lol...

--------------------

Danoth Dragon God
Wandering Hero
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted November 19, 2003 11:26      Profile for Danoth Dragon God   Email Danoth Dragon God   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    
hydrogen is good, but coal pollutes... thats bad.. very bad... yeah...

--------------------

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2003 05:27      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
yeah coal needs to be phased out, its a very dirty energy source.

--------------------

- Nietzsche

The_Lonely_Phox
Wanderer
Member # 147

Rate Member

posted November 21, 2003 08:52      Profile for The_Lonely_Phox   Email The_Lonely_Phox   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lol, not really coal pollution prevention as come a long way since the 1860's which im SURE your all thinking of, coal is used everyday without your knowledge of it even being used.

--------------------

Danoth Dragon God
Wandering Hero
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2003 10:09      Profile for Danoth Dragon God   Email Danoth Dragon God   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    
What? coal power has gotten somewhat cleaner since the 1860's but the material itself it is composed of burns uncleanly no matter what you do to it. Look at the bottom of the top of a coal barbeque, that is dirty! it produces a lot of ash and some dangerous gases.

--------------------

PIPBoy2000
Wandering Champion
Member # 133

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2003 19:16      Profile for PIPBoy2000   Email PIPBoy2000   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Everything should run on hard liqour..... Futurama style. Seriously though, liqour has been know to run cars in a pinch, all they would have to do is modify it.

--------------------

I sometimes get lonely on the weekends...

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted November 21, 2003 22:31      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Yeah, Futurama is cool! And liquir as a source of energy could work, but it would be really wierd in my opinion.

Danoth Dragon God
Wandering Hero
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted November 24, 2003 14:20      Profile for Danoth Dragon God   Email Danoth Dragon God   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    
There was a Simpsons episode with a car that ran on beer... But Diesil fuel cars can run off of vegetable oil... neat but pointless fact...

--------------------

rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted November 24, 2003 14:26      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Futurama is brilliant. Got Season One Box Set...

But anyway, they actually recycle their garbage as food... not a bad idea when you compare it to Abe's Oddysee.

As for cars, did anyone see the Lexus in Minority Report? That would work for me.

As for fuel however, well I'm not sure. It would be good to use water. That would be brilliant.

--------------------

All times are Central Time
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community