my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scotty the Great's Fallout Community   » StGFC Forums   » Fallout 3   » Fallout 3 soon? (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Fallout 3 soon?
Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted September 05, 2003 10:15      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
Say,My friend told me he saw on the net that F3 is going 2 b built on the Tactics engine.

Does anyone knows anything bout it?

--------------------

No one is perfect

Posts: 756 | From: Israel | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 05, 2003 12:40      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Hm, nope, haven't heard anything like that. I hope it isn't true, though.

EDIT: Topic moved to Fallout 3 forum.

Posts: 2906 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted September 05, 2003 13:29      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
why?
sorry 4 the wrong forum...

--------------------

No one is perfect

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 07, 2003 16:12      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Personal preference, really. The Tactics engine really bothered me. It didn't seem Fallout-ish enough.

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted September 08, 2003 07:32      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
Well,never played it so i cant tell.

--------------------

No one is perfect

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 08, 2003 07:57      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
What the -? You never played Tactics, AND you don't know who SpongeBob is?!

Sir, you are now the envy of the entire community.

rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted September 08, 2003 12:18      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What was wrong with Tactics? Give me one reason RIGHT NOW.

--------------------

As I gaze up at the night sky in my own fair time, I look back down and see the devastation. This post-nuclear world. It's terrible. But at least we got Nuka-Cola, warm and flat, the drink of the post-apocalyptic civiliztion. Generation Next!

Posts: 466 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Knight_Wolf
Wandering Champion
Member # 92

Member Rated:

posted September 08, 2003 13:41      Profile for Knight_Wolf   Author's Homepage   Email Knight_Wolf   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 1477479369   
It would have been A ton better if you could visit like different towns not for a mission or anything and to stuff like in f1 and 2

--------------------

If a man in a purple robe was crossing a bridge but snaps as he falls to his death and nobody is there to hear does he make a noise?

Posts: 179 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 08, 2003 15:08      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
One reason? Heh, that's easy. Tons of bugs. Yup, loaded with bugs. Oh, but there was a patch you could download to clear up some of 'em. But what was the patch size again? 16MBs? Thanks a lot Interplay assholes; at the time I was on DIAL-UP! Would it have been hard for them to wait another week or two and release the game with the patch already applied? Nope! But that would've been too simple.

I can rant a lot about Tactics, trust me. That just seems to be the most obvious downfall of the game. Right now, I have to head off to class. If I get time later, I'll rant.

rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted September 08, 2003 15:17      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[Approve] I didn't encounter many but bugs are supposedly a trademark of the Fallout franchise to the outsider - which is rubbish to be honest.

Move about from town to town... yes, but only if Tactics wasn't committed to the Brotherhood of Steel simply expanding. The map system totally betrays the game, making the player believe that it is a horribly limited RPG game (or words to that same effect) instead of the tactical combat that it is.

--------------------

As I gaze up at the night sky in my own fair time, I look back down and see the devastation. This post-nuclear world. It's terrible. But at least we got Nuka-Cola, warm and flat, the drink of the post-apocalyptic civiliztion. Generation Next!

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted September 10, 2003 11:53      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
So u recommend not 2 even start playing it?

--------------------

No one is perfect

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 10, 2003 12:46      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Honestly, probably not. You won't have the same experience as you have had with the other Fallout games. I conquered Tactics once and only once because it's a pain in the ass to play. I'm not much for tactical combat and such (which is ALL the game is about), so by the end of the third mission I was ready to toss it out the window. It's amazing that I managed to get through the whole damn thing. Plus, Tactics has no replay value. After you beat it once, there is no real need to even try again. Fallout 1 and 2 both have lots of replay value (hell, I still enjoy playin' each of them every now and then) because you can do a lot of things differently with different outcomes. Not in Tactics though. Sure, you can still kill someone in ten different ways and maybe complete a mission in a few different manners, but the end result is always the same. It's pretty shitty.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted September 10, 2003 13:28      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I don't see what is wrong with Tactics. I've been playing it lately, and even though it is tactical, it goes with the name. Who cares if it isn't like the other Fallout games. I don't. I'm already like 12 missions into the game, and haven't encountered a single bug. I didn't even download the patch for it.

Posts: 2150 | From: Sconsin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 10, 2003 14:27      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
quote:
Originally posted by Stapes:
I don't see what is wrong with Tactics. I've been playing it lately, and even though it is tactical, it goes with the name. Who cares if it isn't like the other Fallout games. I don't. I'm already like 12 missions into the game, and haven't encountered a single bug. I didn't even download the patch for it.

Thanks for posting something that screams of arrogance. Some systems are known to strangely handle Tactics with no bugs, though it is a rare occurance. Sure, no problems with that. However, the point of having a game series is to have each subsequent game like the original in the terms of feel and gameplay. It is a big deal if Tactics betrays the previous games. To be unable to grasp that concept is basically the same as saying "Having gay sex is the same as having straight sex because it is still sex". Fallout 1 and 2 are straight sex. Fallout Tactics and BoS are gay sex. Are they the same thing? Not even close, even though they are both sex. Going from F1 and 2 to Tactics and BoS is like going from sex with a hot female to sex with a 500 pound man. Hopefully now you will understand the difference Stapes. Hopefully now you will understand why Tactics and BoS pissed so many people off. Fallout fans want a hot female, not a fat man.

rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 02:13      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What the fu**ing hell are you talking about Scotty? You silly.... GAY SEX! What the hell!

I've never sworn on a forum before apart from bastard, but then that's a normal word for there is no polite one-word substitution.

Anyway, back to Tactics. How dare you even think about comparing it with F:BOS! It's a disgrace, do I really need to even give any reasons at all.

This is not a game without an 80 year old hero, this is a game WITH a fully operational turn-based system, this is a game with continuity errors only being made by 'Didn't think they should/could/would' comments, this a game graphically similar to the original, this is a game that uses the SPECIAL system, this is a game that keeps to the Fallout universe, this is a game that should be praised. I could go on longer...

EDIT: It is similar to the Fallout games. What game were you playing?

FURTHER EDIT: Scotty, I would rather you were accurate, than come up with a little catchphrase for yourself.

FURTHER FURTHER EDIT: I'm not mad BTW.

[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: rad-x ]

--------------------

Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 07:25      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
Ok better analogy. Fallout is like sex, Fallout 2 is like really good sex, Tactics is like Sex with animals and BoS is going to be like sex with your cousin, your sister and animals at the same time

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurrydevil
Vault Champion
Member # 11

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 07:28      Profile for Slurrydevil   Author's Homepage   Email Slurrydevil   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 106347609   
In other words people who play tactics/ have sex with animals are SICK!!

And ill let you guess what i think about BoS

btw i dont really dislike the gameplay of tactics, like Scotty said i dont like what it stands for and bug wise i copped the whole fucking kit and kaboodle!! It won't even install on my computer now!! RAGE, HATE etc

--------------------

What is new is always evil, being that which wants to conquer and overthrow the old boundary markers and the old pieties; and only what is old is good. The good men are in all ages those who dig the old thoughts, digging deep and getting them to bear fruit - the farmers of the spirit. But eventually all land is depleted, and the ploughshare of evil must come again and again.

- Nietzsche

Posts: 950 | From: Perth West Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 08:25      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
heheheheheh, Rad, the point of the analogy in the last thread was an attempt to make Stapes understand the difference between the first two Fallout games and Tactics. Seeing how every man can relate to sex (or at least should be able to in some way), I decided to use an analogy that pertained to sex. I thought it sounded pretty good

As for BoS, we'll have to wait and see. I'm not saying that it'll be a horrible game (wait a minute, yes I am ), but knowing what Interplay did with Tactics, I don't envision good things about BoS. Well, I'll probably wait until the game comes out before taking a solid stance on the game. However, BoS better come out for PC. Otherwise, there is no way in hell I'm playing it. I'm a computer gamer only, and have never had even a remote interest in other gaming systems. I'll take my computer over a PS2 any day of the week.

Oh, and for gameplay on Tactics, I don't consider it like that of the previous games. Sure, some similarities were present and such, but the overall feeling was different. Even the turn-based combat felt a lot different. Hrmphl.

rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 10:00      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Scotty are you stupid or something!

It's the exact same thing! OK! The COMBAT is NO DIFFERENT. Just because your able to lie down, you consider it to...

You really can't grasp it can you? Your mind is completely closed.

FALLOUT TACTICS IS A GAME IN IT'S OWN RIGHT, IT IS AS IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE, IT FOLLOWS THE FALLOUT GAMEPLAY, IT HAS THE FALLOUT FEEL (if you disagree, you tell me what the 'Fallout feel' is) AND IT IS VALID.

[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: rad-x ]

--------------------

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 10:40      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Eh, um, *flings flaming poo at rad* [Tongue Job 1]

Ok, Tactics can best be considered a game on its own. In fact, I would probably not object if the game didn't have the Fallout name attached to it.

However, feel of Fallout has always come from the 2D surreal universe that actually felt post-apocolyptic. Tactics shines up this world, makes some of it 3D, and slams it down into a game that thusly feels simply partially destroyed, maybe through war, but not through nuclear weapons. Also, another aspect of Tactics is that a bunch of the NPCs are complete nimwits. For instance, in F1 or 2, if an NPC tried attacking, it would either make sure that it was in decent range before starting combat or at least approach after combat started to ensure landing a solid shot. However, a lot of the NPCs in Tactics will start combat on sight. "Look, an enemy! I have about a negative 25 percent chance of actually hitting 'em, but I better shoot anyway! I could approach, but that would take away AP and I might not be able to shoot then. Better just stay where I am and hope for the best." Dumb really. What is even worse is that, when you try approaching, the NPC will sometimes run away. "Oh no, the enemy is getting closer! He might be able to hit me now! Even though I have a better chance of hitting him now as well, I better run away and keep my negative 25% chance of connecting a shot." Thanks, that is really Falloutish.

Furthermore, where is the retro-50s feel that F1 and 2 had? Did Tactics even have a cool theme song? Nope. What happened there? Also, F1 and 2 basically used the same display method for faces (Aredesh in F1, Sulik in F2) which added to the feel. The faces looked like those you would find in a post-apocolyptic war. However, the faces in Tactics look like those you would find walking down the street. Way to keep the feel!

Next, where did all the vehicles that the Brotherhood had go to in F2? BoS takes place after F1 and before F2, and creates a lot of loopholes. The vehicles are the best example. Remember everything that you had to go through in F2 in order to get a car? The Brotherhood has a wide range of vehicles, though; none of which are seen in F2. Where did the Brotherhood get these vehicles, and what happened to them all? Were they all created/restored after F1 and destroyed before F2? Another loophole is the weapons and equipment. Suddenly the raiders, supermutants, and everyone in general is carrying around weapons that were in neither F1 or 2. Where did this surplus of weapons come from after F1, and what happened to all of them that none were in F2? Logically, this doesn't make sense. Neither of these questions are logically explained, though I am sure fantastic solutions do exist.

Rad, you want me to rant more? Believe me, I can. My stance is not without good cause.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 12:25      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Scotty, if memory serves me correctly though, F2 was made before Tactics. Wasn't it? Lets see, the only vehicles I've seen so far is an evacuation vehicle, a scooter (I believe that is the name of the car), and the APC in one of the first missions.

There are a lot of weapons that were in Tactics that were in F2. Maybe the makers just forgot what they had in the previous fallouts, and made new weapons.

Ah fuck it, I'm not going to go on anymore. It is useless.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 13:28      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Tactics was released after F2, but was set before F2 and after F1.

Go play Tactics multiplayer. You will see all the vehicles that exist then.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 14:04      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
I don't play multiplayer though. Therefore, I won't be seeing any of the vehicles.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 14:10      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Hm, something that I should've just done the first time around: Tactics Vehicle Page.

rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 16:40      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Show me one example apart from the car (my ass if that counts) of a cool 50's element in the gameplay or having anything to do with it. Or anything to do with Fallout, apart from Huge Mutated Monsters that Tactics has.

Aw, no theme tune, you must be destroyed!

--------------------

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 17:26      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Heh, come on, don't I get anything better than that? This is too one-sided. Quid pro quo; tell me why Tactics is such a good game. Tell me how it still is Falloutish. Tell me where it derives the same feel as the other Fallout games. I have said a lot already, and will say more. However, I want an adequate rebuttal first.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 17:30      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Hm, Falloutish? What about the perks? And the skills? They are the same as F1 and 2.

Another thing, I haven't had one NPC try to run from combat. NPC's don't run. You are in control of them. You can move them closer, you can get them to shoot. It is better, because you don't get to control any of the NPC's in F1 and 2. It is F1 and 2 that they run away, shoot each other, etc.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 19:17      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
*ahem* NPC = Non-player Character. I'm talking about the enemies, not the people on your team.

Perks and traits, true. Most are the same as they were for F1 and 2. It's a good start, but it can only stand alone as a loose link.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted September 11, 2003 23:18      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Ah, I wasn't thinking before. Hm, lets see, the map is exactly like the one in F1 and 2. They both have pip-boys.

Only major difference I know of, is that in Tactics you have an environmental suit, and I'm not sure if there is one of them in F1 or 2.

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 12, 2003 10:04      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
The maps aren't exactly the same. For instance, on Tactics, the squares are a little bigger. Plus, you move a lot slower and have a lot more random encounters. Once I had five by just going over one square. That is not only excessive, it's annoying. Plus, the world map is almost useless in Tactics. You don't stop back at any other towns, but rather you just keep going on to the next mission. Wouldn't it be easier, then, for you just to be able to start the mission without having to travel? Plus, after a mission, wouldn't it be easier for you to go to the exit grid and automatically arrive at the Brotherhood? Your character would still travel the distance, but you wouldn't have to waste your time dealing with random encounters and such.

rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted September 12, 2003 11:29      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty the Great:
Heh, come on, don't I get anything better than that? This is too one-sided. Quid pro quo; tell me why Tactics is such a good game. Tell me how it still is Falloutish. Tell me where it derives the same feel as the other Fallout games. I have said a lot already, and will say more. However, I want an adequate rebuttal first.

YOU WHAT! This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

You... want me... to tell you... how A GAME SET IN THE FALLOUT UNIVERSE IS FALLOUTISH! Fool!

--------------------

Gauss
Vault Veteran
Member # 108

Member Rated:

posted September 12, 2003 12:21      Profile for Gauss   Email Gauss   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 292282245
Hmm,I never thought that my question would create such an argument....

Well guys,I think thats enough.
Each of u can keep his opinion,u dont have 2 fight over it.

--------------------

No one is perfect

Scotty the Great
Paragon
Member # 1

Member Rated:

posted September 12, 2003 12:38      Profile for Scotty the Great   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty the Great   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 83373429
Sure we do! *punches rad* [Tongue Job 1]

Neh, really, why must the arument be one-side? I post a rant and don't recieve much, if any, response. Gimme a sound rebuttal. I am not gonna rant if people aren't gonna respond much.

Stapes
Paragon
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted September 12, 2003 13:38      Profile for Stapes   Email Stapes   Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote    UIN: 131549933
Come on! You never said anything about the Pip-boy, so I must be right on that one! BOOYAH!

rad-x
Vault Citizen
Member # 86

Member Rated:

posted September 12, 2003 14:45      Profile for rad-x     Send New Private Message     Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah Scotty! And I repeat my last post.

--------------------

All times are Central Time
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Scotty the Great's Fallout Community